Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:31 AM   #31

sorry to hear that. i had my son set up my wifi on my LF1, as it was just a pain in the butt. once he got it set up, it kept working fine.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:31 AM   #32

Maybe he can setup mine to.

Is the scratch something to be worried about? It's not a crack, but it isn't a scuff either. It's a scratch noticeable by sight and i feel it when cleaning the screen. Luckily it's off near the corner, so it shouldn't affect using the touch screen. But do those things spread?
chacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:59 PM   #33

i've never had one spread - it would only spread, i'm thinking, if it were all the way through the glass, but you can return the camera if you want. they should pay return shipping depending on the camera's grading in the listing.

if you want to keep it, perhaps someone has written a guide about the wifi that's much better than the manufacturer directions. seems like none of the manufacturers can write directions about wifi that is very helpful for some reason :-/
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:25 PM   #34

A crack might spread, but a scratch isn't likely to.
How was the camera graded? KEH usually does a pretty good job of grading, but may have slipped up.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:18 PM   #35

Grade was EX.

My webcam and phone do not seem to be able to take a high quality enough of a picture to show the scratch. Having the zs30 take a picture of its own back would take a photographer with a higher level mirror magic than i.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:08 AM   #36

If the camera is otherwise satisfactory, I wouldn't worry about the scratch, myself. If you aren't satisfied with it for that and other reasons, KEH has a good return policy.
I have purchased from KEH in the past, and found their grading system to be a bit odd. The EX grade is the first step above BARGAIN, with no GOOD or VERY GOOD levels in between, so one has to pay more attention to the descriptions. The pricing seems a bit higher than competitive places, as well.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:50 AM   #37

The wi-fi can work both ways. Connecting the mac to the camera allows typing the password in with a keyboard. It's not what i want, but it is much, much easier than the painful alternative.

For the scratch, i borrowed my neighbors Cannon and got these and (iirc) took over 60 pictures. It sure does take a while to learn how to use it. That screen is so reflective.

The third picture has some prominent dirt on it over to the left. There are two scratches, the second one starting where the first ends. It is not as prominent, and does not always show up in pictures.

Last edited by chacham; Mar 29, 2015 at 10:54 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:56 AM   #38

I'm looking for comments on this. Here's the reason. While i don't mind used merchandise, i do expect significant savings. I'll usually pay a few extra dollars to get a new item. This one was $250 new, $199 used, so that's a 20% savings. Not bad.

On closer look, however, it is not the same item.

The used item does not have a power cord, Panasonic battery, box, instructions, usb cable, or CD. To make up for the power cord and battery, a cheap battery and cheap charger were supplied. The box is not really required, and the instructions can be downloaded. The usb cable looks like it is a custom job, and relatively expensive online. While there are other ways of transfer (wireless or just take the card out) i consider this a semi-significant loss. And, though not (completely) their fault, shipping adds ~$12. A new one from Amazon is free shipping. Making the total savings, less than $40. While that is a significant amount of money, less than 20% savings with so many parts gone is not that great of a deal. Add to that a new item is warrantied for a year (as opposed to the 6 months provided), and it looks even less attractive.

At this point, (and now that i have had enough time to think about it) i don't regret the purchase, but if i had to do it again, i feel strongly that i would not. At least not at this small amount of savings.

Right now, i am struggling with the wi-fi connection, and worried if this scratch will spread. The wi-fi can be set to go backwards (connect computer directly to phone as opposed to phone to computer/network) which is much easier, but not ideal.

I'm hoping i am expressed myself well. It's not that i am unhappy; it's that i (feel that i) don't know what to think. Your opinions mean a lot to me.

Last edited by chacham; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: small corrections
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:14 AM   #39

i don't recall the listing for the camera, but keh sells their cameras with and without accessories and in a wide variety of conditions.

sounds like you should return the camera. you're not happy, you're worried, and considering the lack of manufacturer warranty, lack of accessories and your concern with the scratch (btw, cracks spread - not scratches), seems like this isn't a winner for you. the wifi, well, lots of cameras have pain in the butt wifi, unfortunately.

but that's just my opinion. if it were me, i'd be talking to keh on the phone about the scratch and doing a return.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:57 AM   #40

>i don't recall the listing for the camera

It didn't list much. I think i made some assumptions based on what i've seen as used elsewhere. This wouldn't be keh's fault, though it would have been nicer had it been clearer.

>(btw, cracks spread - not scratches)

OK, that does make me les worried. thank you.

>if it were me, i'd be talking to keh on the phone

Thank you. Maybe i should do just that and see where it takes me.

On another note? What is a good price for a used camera? Um, i mean percentage-wise. This is 80% of the price for two models ago. Is that about right?