Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:15 PM   #41

it doesn't matter how many generations the camera is if it's still selling new online at reputable stores. i see it selling for from $297 to $349, and it's used at adorama for $219, so the price is about right. what to pay for a used camera should always depend on condition, and sell mine when i sell them for less than online stores, but i also don't offer a warranty. if something goes wrong, it's not my responsibility if i sold the camera in what i knew for sure to be good working order. the 3 or 6 month store warranties can add some value that way.

when buying used cameras from stores online, the pictures are stock photos and the condition is done by rating. you can get a used warrantied camera in working condition from like new to covered in scrapes and dents but still working perfectly, as well as those that aren't necessarily working. here's the keh.com rating system, and the rating was listed on my husband's receipt - i just checked. the receipt said his camera was in "excellent" condition, which according to keh's grading system means ""EXCELLENT CONDITION." 80 to 89 percent of original. Shows moderate wear for the age of the item, with the possibility of small dings or blemishes. Glass may have slight blemishes but will not affect picture quality."

https://www.keh.com/search/grading

Last edited by pcake; Mar 31, 2015 at 9:19 PM.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:23 AM   #42

I see what you mean about the prices.

Amazon has the ZS30 for $350, the ZS40 for $327, the ZS50 for $389. That's $100 more for the ZS30 than just a couple weeks ago! (Though the used one went down from $199 to $175.) I didn't realize prices fluctuate like that.

My major concern was over the scratch, which you have explained is different from a crack. So, i'm good with that. I still feel i should have purchased it new, but, what is done is done. If not for the horrible wi-fi setup procedure, i'd be much happier with the camera overall. But you say the other's aren't better anyway.

I ought to post some pictures later, per your request. I'll get happier once i (really) start using it.
chacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:27 AM   #43

Anyway, looking at reviews on Amazon: (Panasonic zs30)

5 star - 75 ratings
4 star - 33 ratings
3 star - 14 ratings
2 star - 12 ratings
1 star - 9 ratings

interesting...
ronaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:53 AM   #44

I'm getting used to the camera. The zoom is very nice. The wifi setup is still a pain, but i now have saved settings to go both ways. (comp->camera and camera->comp) Setting it up to save was a pain. A very big pain. Let me be clear. It was a very, very,very,very,very,very,very,very, big pain. But it is saved now and i don't have to think about it. Though, if i ever buy a new camera, Panasonic will start with a huge negative for that terrible annoyance.

Auto-transfer to the computer only works when the camera is plugged in. Of course, since i do not have a plug, that isn't an option. That means i have to manually send the pictures. As there is no select all, i have to scroll and check each picture. It's not frustrating, but so stupid.

In order to take the card it to transfer it that way, i would have to unscrew the tripod mounting piece. Have to do the same to charge the battery. It's annoying, but, oh well.

Anyway, i posted a couple pictures in Other Photos, specifically, Sunset sky. Still hoping to see a reply. Even if its just to say i posted in the wrong forum. :P

I am also playing with stop motion and made this video. Friends commented on the spiders instead of the structure. I've been trying to do a chess game, but the glass pieces don't show up well. That's beside that i kept moving pieces too much (using the numbers as how much to move instead of rank) and my neighbors kids messing it up. Heh. Guess that one was my fault. I ought to give it another try, or just switch to a cheap, black and white, plastic set. Anyway, i'm glad i have a tripod.

Last edited by chacham; Apr 17, 2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 4:16 AM   #45

i like the structure-building, but honestly the spiders were just so cool. i liked the music, too
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:51 AM   #46

Heh. The music comes from youtube itself. Not sure how to match those up.

The spiders did not play chess yesterday. I was busy and haven't yet comes to terms that it'll need to use the less fancy set. And, the glass set is heavier so it can tolerate supporting the spiders in strange positions. I doubt the plastic set can do that.

If i do post that, i'll then need to work on a better channel name.