Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:08 PM   #1

Default New camera suggestions based on old lenses...am I crazy?

Many years ago I bought my mother-in-law a second hand replacement for her much cherished Mamiya ZE2. Unfortunately she wasn’t as pleased with it as I had expected her to be, and as a result it has sat in a box for 10 years, unused.

I, however, am currently in the market for a new digital camera and had been playing with the idea of a dslr or perhaps a mirrorless ILC.

While I reckon the old ZE2 body is worth pennies on ebay and should maybe become a toy for the kids, should the lenses go with it to the scrap heap or would it be worthwhile choosing a new digital camera specifically to use with these lenses, or are they just not that good? They all look to be in a excellent and clean condition, although I have never used them myself to check photo quality.

One downside I am aware of is that they are all manual focus. When I had a film SLR 20+ years ago it was always a (relatively) slow process particularly in dim conditions. This is particularly so now, as I would want to be photographing my kids, who would move quicker than I could turn the focus ring.

The lenses are:
Mamiya-Sekor E 28mm f3.5 (2 pieces)
Mamiya-Sekor E 50mm f1.7
Mamiya-Sekor E 135mm f3.5
Mamiya-Sekor Zoom E 80 - 200mm f3.8
Mamiya E Auto Extension Rings No’s 1, 2 & 3
I also have an:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 (Not electronic) which was a favourite of mine long ago on a Pentax body for close up use without flash, etc

Any thoughts on suitability for use with a specific ILC or dSLR would be much appreciated, whether through an adapter or not.

I am very keen to hear all suggestions, but please don’t use up too much of your valuable time, as I am thinking I will probably be back soon with a more basic and straightforward, “What Camera Should I Buy” question.

Thank you for your help.

It is very much appreciated

TM
Taxed Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:44 PM   #2

The Pentax will fit on any current Pentax dSLR.

The Mamiya-Sekor lenses are a different story.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:24 PM   #3

IIRC, the M-S lenses are M42 screw thread. If so, they will work with an adapter for Pentax DSLRs, as well, and possibly other brands.
Part of the problem in using any film SLR lens for digital, is that the coatings on the older lenses don't account for the greater reflectivity of digital sensors, and may, under some conditions, cause exposure difficulties, and some washout.
Bottom line is that you may be able to use them with a DSLR, but don't leave out the kit lens when you buy the body.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:31 AM   #4

It's also possible that the Pentax uses the M42 mount as well.

There are several M42 lens adapters that will let you use those lenses with a number of dSLR bodies, including Canon, m4/3 (Olympus & Panasonic), Pentax, and Sony (A-Mount and E-Mount), all with varying degrees of functionality.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:10 PM   #5

G'day TM

I have a Panny G2 with several current model Panny zooms as well
I also have several old manual lenses, connected to the G2 via M42/m4-3 adapter or the K-mount/m4-3 adapter

While the use of manual lenses via the adapter makes it a usable combination, for me it is no more than a novelty. The precision and focussing speed of current lenses means that my use of old manual lenses soon loses its 'shine'

While it's fun to do milky-way stars pics with the Takumar 55mm f1,2, in daylight it's just way too slow to be at all 'fun'. Other longer [70-210mm] zoom lenses are soon discarded as the current Panny zooms out perform them in every way

Hope this helps a bit
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 5:44 PM   #6

Thank you so very much to you all for your useful and helpful tips, suggestions and recommendations. I very much appreciate the time you have taken to answer my question, and I think I will now need to go back to the drawing board and relook at what I need to buy.

Thanks again.

TM
Taxed Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 7:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed Mind View Post
Thank you so very much to you all for your useful and helpful tips, suggestions and recommendations. I very much appreciate the time you have taken to answer my question, and I think I will now need to go back to the drawing board and relook at what I need to buy.
Thanks again. TM
OKay TM ...

May I 'confuse' you once more ...

Most film-camera zoom lenses [and many of today's dSLR zoom lenses] have a 3:1 zoom ratio. Old lenses were 70-210 or 80-250 sort of thing, whereas many dSLR kit lenses are 18-55 followed by the ubiquitous 70-250 or 75-300

Since film camera days, zoom lens design has gone ahead in leaps & bounds and today, my 'standard' lens on the Panny G2 is the 14-140mm 10x zoom job ~ film camera equiv of 28-280mm

Small & lightweight, certainly sharp enough for all my needs.
In ruff-n-ready terms the 14-140 is 2-1/2" dia x 3-1/2" long ~ can your old film camera 28-280mm lenses match this?

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote