Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:49 PM   #1

Default No video/movie, no audio

Before I ask, I need to say that I don't want to hear:
"just do not use the video/audio recording capability"
"why?"
"Whhaaaaaa"
etc...

I need as compact a camera as possible with great macro capability and WITHOUT Video/movie and audio recording capability. This means the hardware inside the camera does not exist to record video/movie or audio.

I've been Googling and found back in 2005, there was the Sony DSC-R1. But I cannot seem to find anything like it anymore. It was not the most compact of cameras, but it had no video/movie and audio recording.

Most references I've read where people have asked for cameras without video/audio recording are either attacked by forum members or told to just ignore the video/audio in the camera. BUT I CANNOT DO THIS. If you do not have something constructive to say, I do not want to hear it.

How/where can I find such a 'unicorn' camera?

Thank you.
jmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:42 PM   #2

I think you're going to have quite a job finding a camera without a movie mode- compact or otherwise. Even if you scour the second-hand market- the camera would have to be so old it'd unlikely be working..!!
A couple of DSLR's were a little slow to the movie party (Canon 450D,Sony A500), but they're hardly compact and would need a bespoke macro lens also..!
Good luck.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:43 PM   #3

This is a feature that camera makers have built into cameras based on consumer demand, and as technology advances, the video capabilities continue to increase.
You need to be looking for an older DSLR with a macro lens, or older P&S such as the Minolta D7 or A series cameras, which aren't made anymore. Try shopping the used section of B&H photo, Adorama, or KEH (which is all used equipment).

edit: just recalled that my Minolta D7hi does take short movie clips and record audio, so you would need to scratch those cameras off your list.

Last edited by VTphotog; Apr 30, 2015 at 9:52 PM.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:59 PM   #4

Default Thank you

That is as I feared. Thank you for your responses.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:25 PM   #5

even the current absolute lowest priced cameras - i'm talking about cameras that literally cost under $100 - now shoot video. VTphotog had a good suggestion to shop used, and btw, all three of the stores have 3 to 6 month warranties (depending on which store) on their used gear. also B&H allows you to buy a square trade warranty with their used stuff if you want longer coverage.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015, 7:53 AM   #6

Any camera that can shoot decent stills already has the hardware necessary to record video. The capability of recording video is just from the added software, so you wouldn't be buying anything tangible when you buy a compact camera that can also record videos, except for the microphone which, in the grand scheme of things, is an insignificant item when compared to all the other components in a camera.

Is there something about the capability of recording videos that violates your principles, or do you just not want to pay for things you have no intention of using?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015, 5:28 PM   #7

Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Any camera that can shoot decent stills already has the hardware necessary to record video. The capability of recording video is just from the added software, so you wouldn't be buying anything tangible when you buy a compact camera that can also record videos, except for the microphone which, in the grand scheme of things, is an insignificant item when compared to all the other components in a camera.

Is there something about the capability of recording videos that violates your principles, or do you just not want to pay for things you have no intention of using?
It is not by choice, but of professional necessity.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:12 PM   #8

would it help if you brought whatever camera you get to a repairman and have the video button disabled or video disabled in another way, and could then get that confirmed by the tech?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015, 8:57 PM   #9

Default good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
would it help if you brought whatever camera you get to a repairman and have the video button disabled or video disabled in another way, and could then get that confirmed by the tech?
that is a good idea but not adequate.