Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 1, 2015, 7:41 PM   #1

Default Which Panasonic To Buy

I am looking to replace (actually add to) my point and shoot Panasonic DMC-ZS3 that has a 12x zoom that I have had for a few years. My search for another camera is prompted by the fact that I am taking two beautiful scenery trips this summer (Norwegian fjords on a cruise and Canadian Rockies) and I want to be able to take some great pictures.

I would like to get a bridge camera and have narrowed it down to three of the Panasonics - the FZ1000, FZ200 and FZ70. Right now Iím leaning towards the 1000 or the 200 after initially thinking that I wanted the really long zoom. I know that in the Norwegian fjords there will be a lot of cloudy days, so I want something that will be good in low light. Iím not sure that I need the really long zoom, particularly since it appears that image quality really suffers at the more extreme ends.

I like the FZ200 because it has a longer zoom than the FZ1000 and that would be nice to have for the wildlife that I know I will see in the Rockies. However, the larger sensor on the FZ1000 also seems to make a lot of sense for the quality of the photos.

Iím really confused and would appreciate some advice.
shawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2015, 8:01 PM   #2

I think the larger, higher resolution image sensor in the FZ1000 is the best choice for what you want to do. And while the FZ200 has a longer zoom, the difference isn't much.

According to the DxOMark tests, the FZ1000 has less noise and greater dynamic range than the other two.

Last edited by TCav; May 1, 2015 at 8:04 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 1:57 AM   #3

When you use iZoom on the FZ1000, you can go to 800mm, without noticeable detoriation (if you don't pixelpeep), thanks to the good 20mp sensor.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 5:17 AM   #4

the FZ1000 blows the other two away imo. a really nice camera with good image quality, fast and accurate autofocus and not bad in lower light. i rented one, and it was absolutely a joy.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 11:25 AM   #5

Thanks everyone - seems unanimous.

What is pixel peep?
Old May 2, 2015, 5:16 PM   #6

Another question -

I don't know if this is allowed on this forum, but can anyone recommend a reliable online source for buying the camera?
Old May 2, 2015, 5:53 PM   #7

pixel peeping is when you enlarge a picture on your monitor so it's big - say 100% or bigger - so instead of looking at the pic, you're basically looking at image quality or looking for flaws.

bhphotovideo.com is my favorite seller. very helpful folks there, easy returns if there's a problem, plus good tech support if you need it. i've had less experience with adorama, but most people i know love 'em. amazon is good, too, but make sure if buying there that it's from amazon and not a marketplace seller.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 6:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawski View Post
Another question -

I don't know if this is allowed on this forum, but can anyone recommend a reliable online source for buying the camera?
I've bought both new and used from Amazon, Adorama and B&H. No problems in a decade.

FWIW, the FZ200 was selling new at Amazon for $399 about a week ago. Watch the pricing of Panasonic. They can have drastic price swings from day to day.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 7:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawski View Post
Another question -

Where are you?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2015, 8:53 PM   #10

I'm in Florida.

Also, just looked up the camera on Costco and it's about $100 less than at the online sites. Any problem with buying it at Costco? It's not gray market or anything , is it?