Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 7, 2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Alternative to Canon D5 Markiii

Hi. New here and need some advice. My 17 year old is getting pretty serious about photography and video. Currently she's using my old Nikon D70 and a hand held video recorder (entry level). She wants a combo camera and her friends are using the Canon D5 Markiii. I understand it's a good camera but a little pricey. Anyone have a more moderate option? Instead of $3000 I was thinking more $1500 (body and 50mm lens). If there is a Nikon option that might be best as I have several Nikor lenses.

thanks for the thoughts.
jlgascoigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 7, 2015, 3:55 PM   #2

For video, the Canon 5D III is the epitome of overkill.

There are plenty of excellent options if your only criteria are "interchangeable lens camera" and "video", and with the money you save you can get a better assortment of lenses.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2015, 4:27 PM   #3

unless your nikor lenses are optimized for video, your daughter may need different lenses. does your 17 year old need full frame? if not, the panasonic GH4 is one of the best cameras out there for video. true, its micro four thirds sensor isn't going to do as well in low light, but it's still a good camera, handles well, has all the features for video. it's probably the most highly recommended camera in your price range or over for video, and i find panasonics have great menus and this one has good ergonomics and is light weight. you might also consider a used 5D ii.

also worth looking at a nikon D610, which is full frame and should be findable in your price range, but there are some things about the camera that aren't so good for video - you can't control aperture in live view and i hear focus for video and in live view is slow. still, maybe she can work around that, although i would absolutely want to preview aperture on the screen while shooting. your old lenses may not be the best for video, as some older lenses are very loud during video shooting and don't focus well, but you could always find out.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015, 3:57 PM   #4

'Full Frame' dSLRs have no advantage over APS-C dSLRs when shooting video, and little advantage when shooting stills.

If all your daughter needs to do is shoot video, any interchangeable lens camera should do well and cost a quarter what the 5DIII will set you back.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2015, 7:05 PM   #5

Maybe a D7100- usable with older af-d lenses,built in stereo mic's- and jacks for external mic's. 30p/25p/24p video and 50/60i in crop mode (effectively doubling focal length...)- and very reasonably priced now...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote