Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 12, 2015, 3:04 PM   #1

Default What lens should I add to my collection?

I currently have 4 different lenses for my Canon T5i….a Canon 18-55mm f/3.5 STM, Canon 55-250mm F/4 STM, Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime, and a Lensbaby Muse. I love the 18-55 for wide angle stuff like group photos in small rooms or small areas. The 55-250 is great for really zooming in on stuff that is far away….the stabilization works great. I love the 50mm 1.8 for low light shots and portraits….and the Lensbaby is pretty much worthless.

What would you guys suggest for a new lens for me to test/tryout/buy? The only think that I would say I’m lacking is a lens that can do close up macro type shots….and one that can really reach out and get some good clean telephoto shoots of subjects far away.

Ideas?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2015, 3:38 PM   #2

What do you want to do that you can't do already?

My first inclination would be to replace the lenses you've got with better ones. The 18-55, 55-250, and 50/1.8 are nice, but there are better choices, especially if you've got money burning a hole in your pocket.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 5:52 PM   #3

The Sigma 50-500 is pretty well regarded for wildlife and distant subjects, and wouldn't too often leave you wanting something shorter. Good walk around lens. Builds muscles.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2015, 11:22 PM   #4

I think a larger zoom (might check out that Sigma), and also a nice macro lens to take close UPS of objects would round out my collection. I'm pretty happy with the lenses I have now......something to take macro shots.....and a larger zoom lens would be great. What would you suggest for an entry level macro lens?
IQRaceworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015, 7:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQRaceworks View Post
What would you suggest for an entry level macro lens?
It depends on what you want to shoot. If it's inanimate subjects in a well lit scene, you can get away with an inexpensive, short focal length macro lens, like the $420 Canon 60/2.8. But in a more natural environment, a shorter focal length may result in you blocking your own light and/or frightening an animate subject so you may want something longer, like the $500 Tamron 90/2.8 or the $550 Canon 100/2.8. And if you want to capture macro shots of rattlesnakes or crocodiles, you may want something that will give you a little more working distance, like the $740 Tamron 180/3.5 or the $1,400 Canon 180/3.5. Lastly, you may opt for a stabilized lens if don't want to (or can't) use a tripod, so you can choose from the $670 Sigma 105/2.8, the $750 Tamron 90/2.8, the $900 Canon 100/2.8, the $1,100 Sigma 150/2.8, or the $1,700 Sigma 180/2.8.

To be clear, there are no bad macro lenses. Your choice should be based on your specific requirements. Simply saying that you want to get a macro lens is like saying you want to get a truck; the solution depends on what you want to do with it? Do you want to deliver flowers, furniture, or cement?

Last edited by TCav; May 13, 2015 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Fixed some prices
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2015, 3:25 PM   #6

or go wider,
the Canon 10-18mm stm is both inexpensive (about 300$) and about the same quality as the ones you already have.
Would give you a real wide angle view of things.

I have both a few Sigma and Tamron lenses, but they suffer from the same next to no trade in value if you try to sell them off to upgrade.
I got a bit of a surprise when I went in to trade in my sigma 120-300 f/2.8 and the shops offer was under 1000$ for a lens that cost over 3000$.
BTW I have the Sigma 150 macro and the trade in offer was under 400$.
Needless to say I made no trades, kept the Other Equipment Manufacturers lenses and just bought new real Canons.
So the lens closet gets fuller.

The name brand L lenses hold their resale value much better.

If you want to do macro on the cheap get a set of extension tubes and a reversing ring for the 50mm f/1.8
Not the greatest way to go but inexpensive and can get you over 1:1 if you are careful.

Last edited by PeterP; May 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote