Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:47 PM   #1

Default New camera versus used older camera

Back in 2005 I bought a Canon Powershot A610, based upon information from Steve's digicam. I've gotten great photos, and have enjoyed using this camera. Recently, it fell off the table and now the media card door is out of alignment, and will only operate if I duct tape the door closed.

In my sadness I bought a used Canon powershot a640 on ebay, but am not happy with the quality of the photos---maybe not as good as seller said.

Here's what I love about the 610:
Auto mode and manual, with dial on top
vari-angle lens
option for interchangeable lenses
4 AA batteries--not having to fool with a charger.
hand grip
still small, but not a purse camera
optical viewfinder

What I didn't like was that it was slow when photographing kids, and the lcd display is only 2 inches---rather small compared to today's cameras.

In general, it's been a good learning camera because of all the options.

Looking at cameras, I find that many only have rechargeable batteries, and not too many have vari-angle lenses.

I don't want to spend a lot on a camera (up to $350ish) so I was looking at some used cameras, specifically a Canon Powershot a650 and a Canon Powershot g12. However, in good condition, these cameras are around $250.

So then I started thinking that maybe I should look at newer cameras, either advanced point and shoot or mirrorless (like Sony NEX-5TL). The more I look, the more confused I get. I still need to learn a lot more, and would probably use the auto mode the most until I learn more. I have grandchildren, so quick response would be nice, as well as decent zoom. I used my other camera for family and work events, and travel. Any suggestions??
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2015, 1:38 AM   #2

You won't find many camera's with AA batteries anymore.I don't think you will find a camera with a vari angle lens, I think you mean a vari angle screen. Look at the Panasonic FZ200, a good allround bridge camera with articulated screen and a good EVF(electronic view finder). Panasonics have a good auto mode but the FZ200 can also use more advanced settings. It has a fast 24x zoomlens (25-600mm eq, F2.8 all the way). It's fast for a bridge, with up to 12fps burst mode.
I've used it for taking pictures of my grandchildren to.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Jun 15, 2015 at 2:42 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2015, 11:40 AM   #3

Thanks---I was looking into the Panasonic, but then I saw the Nikon p7800. Many of the bridge cameras are a little big (still mourning my canon A610) and this Nikon looks like it has a lot of features. I'm wondering if it's fast enough for taking pictures of kids who turn their heads just when the capture button is pressed. The old Canon a610 was slow, and there was always a lag between photos. I was still able to photograph kids fairly well, but I did have some tedious moments. I have looked at some camera comparison sites, and both the Panasonic and Nikon get good reviews. The Panasonic does get a better rating on some of the sites, but only by a few points. I'm able to purchase the Nikon for about $140 less than the Panasonic because the box is open. The smaller size appeals to me, but will the good deal really be worth it? What do you think? The next big events coming up are a trip and a family wedding.
LindaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:19 AM   #4

The P7800 is a good camera. It's a little slower than the FZ200, but still fast enough to capture playing children. It has a bigger sensor so will be better in low light than the FZ200. Enjoy your new camera.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote