Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 27, 2015, 2:14 PM   #1

Default I need help for a GPS enabled camera

Hi, I need your help to chose a new digital camera to replace my broken Canon Powershot A710 IS with a new compact camera with GPS buil in

I've already find a camera (Canon Powershot SX280HS) but is a two years old model and I don't know if may be a better chose now.

My mandatory features are:
- GPS receiver to geotagging photos. I don't want a camera that can be connected to a smartphone to receive the gps position. I use the camera in my sports (motorbike travels, mountain bike etc) and the gps must be built in

- Price: Around 200$ as the sx280hs (online now thismis the correct price) is ok.

- A good zoom 10x. 28 to 280mm (35mm equivalent)

- Dimensions: Compact. The sx280hs dimensions are ok for me

Looking for a most recent model of the canon I'm a Little surprised because I can't find a new canon with gps bult in actually.

Do the old (2013) SX280HS is really the only one best camera with gps built in and the features I need?
skiank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:26 AM   #2

It's not easy to find a camera with GPS for around $200. I good choice could be the Nikon S9700. Compact, 30x zoom and has GPS.
Rdui
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:37 AM   #3

Thank you rudimaes. I can find canon SX280 for 180€ here in europe and nikon P9700 for 220€ (40€ more, 20%). I read some review and the nikon is very similar to canon. But in all reviews canon resul better as image quality.

I found canon S100 as a good camera with GPS but unfortunately I cannot find it (too old). This was a good camera, more compact and with hight quality (I think) respect sx280hs

An alternative for 210€ may be Sony HX50V but 20 Mpixels on a small sensor and the body less compact not convince me.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:15 AM   #4

All this cameras will be about the same quality.(the S100 has a larger sensor and will be better in low light. But you can buy it only second hand). As you are used to Canon, I think you could stay with that brand and buy the SX280.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Jun 29, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 3:34 AM   #5

Done!! (sx280HS)

Thank's again
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:55 AM   #6

Enjoy your new camera.
Rudi