Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:34 AM   #1

Default Torn between Pannys..

I've been sitting on the fence far too long with my (groan!) FZ100 and with the about to arrive DMC FZ300, I'm torn between opting for that (FZ300) OR the DMC FZ1000 that I've been lusting after, while waiting for the price to drop. Panasonic with their quite fair, more-bang-for-the-bucks pricing structure has made the choices, hand wringing for this fixed income, user.

Acceptable low lux/available light in stills and video are my priorities.... please don't even think or bother suggesting a DSL. All input and suggestions appreciated.
linhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2015, 1:16 AM   #2

I have the FZ1000, so I will not buy the FZ300 anytime soon. As the FZ1000 has a larger sensor, it will be better in low light . A picture at 600mm taken with iZoom will be as good as one with the 600mm optical zoom in the FZ300. This thanks to the very good 1" 20mp sensor in the FZ1000.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:16 AM   #3

True, the FZ1000 has a larger image sensor than the FZ300, which is better for low light shooting, but it also has a higher resolution image sensor which is worse for low light shooting.

In addition, the FZ1000 has an f/2.8-4.0 maximum aperture over it's (35mm equivalent) 25-400 mm zoom range, while the FZ300 has a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture over it's 25-600 mm zoom range, which is better for low light shooting at longer focal lengths.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
True, the FZ1000 has a larger image sensor than the FZ300, which is better for low light shooting, but it also has a higher resolution image sensor which is worse for low light shooting.

In addition, the FZ1000 has an f/2.8-4.0 maximum aperture over it's (35mm equivalent) 25-400 mm zoom range, while the FZ300 has a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture over it's 25-600 mm zoom range, which is better for low light shooting at longer focal lengths.

Why would the 20mp on a larger sensor, be worse in low light than 12mp on a much smaller sensor?
Rudi
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:34 PM   #5

Thank you for the prompt and encouraging replies.... all of you. I was leaning towards the FZ1000, b-b-but the (added) new bells and whistles on the FZ300 are tempting carrots. I'd certainly wonder about why the 12mp sensor would have better resolution in low light (noise?) than a 20mp sensor or even my FZ100's 14mp's sensor that sucks... big time? Much appreciated for all and any replies. Definitely not on the "my camera can beat up your camera" bandwagon.... so, more the merrier and hopefully Steve Digicam will do a vs. comparison for this wavering soul. I'm 80 y.o., so please cut me some slack to my inanity, but I'm still dancing as fast as I can.... thanks to you all.
linnie
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post

I've found that there is a lot of noise and under exposure @200ISO, so I don't even try 400ISO in a fairly well lit (overhead mixed flourescent and filament) room, whether in photo or video, auto or P setting. And that is with the teeny FZ100 14mp sensor. Maybe I SHOULD RTFM the FZ100 manual from cover to cover to see where I'm lacking? Now there's a thought. Is it possible for a 12mp image sensor to render better, acceptable results than a 14 or even 20mp sensor? Thanks so very much for the help.
linnie
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudimaes View Post
I have the FZ1000, so I will not buy the FZ300 anytime soon. As the FZ1000 has a larger sensor, it will be better in low light . A picture at 600mm taken with iZoom will be as good as one with the 600mm optical zoom in the FZ300. This thanks to the very good 1" 20mp sensor in the FZ1000.
Rudi
Rudi, may I ask what, if any, don't you like about the FZ1000 and/or think you would like it to have.... for the same price, of course? Thank you...
linnie
Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Why would the 20mp on a larger sensor, be worse in low light than 12mp on a much smaller sensor?
Rudi
I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I'm saying that there's no reason to say that one is better than the other until someone does an objective test, and no one has.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 3:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by linhof View Post
... I'd certainly wonder about why the 12mp sensor would have better resolution in low light (noise?) than a 20mp sensor or even my FZ100's 14mp's sensor that sucks... big time?
Nobody said that the 12MP sensor would have better resolution than the 20MP sensor. rudimaes said that...

Quote:
... As the FZ1000 has a larger sensor, it will be better in low light. ...
And I simply disputed his assertion. There is no reason to suggest one way or the other.

In addition, lots of improvements have been made since your FZ100 was developed, so I can say with confidence that either one would be better than what you've got now.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 18, 2015 at 3:03 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by linhof View Post
Rudi, may I ask what, if any, don't you like about the FZ1000 and/or think you would like it to have.... for the same price, of course? Thank you...
linnie
Overall the FZ1000 is the best and most versatile bridge you can find for the moment. Most people that buy the FZ1000 are very satisfied with the camera, some even amazed about the picture quality.
Rudi