Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:11 AM   #1

Default Should I Buy Used Mirrorless Camera?

I am outside of US and saw local classified for Panasonic Lumix G5. It's offered in great condition accordign to guy and been used for a few months less than a year. The local price is like 60% off new camera that is sold locally. I will be doing more interior shots with it than exterior and wondered what to look for and what should I test before handing over cash. Should I take laptop with me and test images after making some and should I check outputs/inputs, shutter presses etc. or if it's in great condition I should rest easy?

Other option is to pay double price for Olympus E-PL5 but I wonder how better is Panasonic G5. Lack of warranty will also be soemthing to think about.

Thanks
TechnicGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:34 PM   #2

lack of warranty would be my main concern. lots of people, my husband included, have great luck buying used cameras, but every so often i read a thread from someone who bought a completely functional used camera that worked perfectly for a few months and then died. you can check to make sure everything works, but that's no guarantee it will keep working. usually it will, but realize there is a small risk involved going used.

i really like the E-PL5, but on the other hand the G5 has an EVF, for me a real plus. i also find panasonic menus to be MUCH more intuitive to use. the E-PL5's IBIS can be handy, and it's a snappy little camera, though.

will a lens be included with the G5, and if so, which one? the kit lens isn't the best for interior shots.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
i really like the E-PL5, but on the other hand the G5 has an EVF, for me a real plus. i also find panasonic menus to be MUCH more intuitive to use. the E-PL5's IBIS can be handy, and it's a snappy little camera, though.
EVF is like digital flip-out screen in that what you see on flip-out screen you see in EVF? Do mirrorless cameras have optical view finder - OVF? I think optical would easier on eye.

Regarding menus, I heard that people did not like E-PL5 due to non-intuitive menu because it involves a lot of customization but the good feature is that you can set hot-buttons / shortcuts there which allow you to instantly perform function that would otherwise be slower due to navigation involved . Is it really harder with E-PL5 to navigate to specific setting than if it would be with G5?

I think G5 has lens stabilisation and E-PL5 has sensor shift. Not sure which is better but both are better than digital image stabilisation, right?

Quote:
will a lens be included with the G5, and if so, which one? the kit lens isn't the best for interior shots.
The lens included are those it comes with by default. Yes I think it's kit lens. Why kit lens are not so good for indoor shooting? I didn't mention that my main purpose is commercial product photography from close. Does that change anything?

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2015, 9:48 PM   #4

EVF is like an OVF but electronic. i prefer to shoot through a viewfinder myself.

once you activate the super control panel, all the useful settings will be available on a single screen. i can't imagine why olympus doesn't make their cameras with the super control panel on by default, because without it, i find their cameras very annoying. i've always found panasonic and canon to be the easiest menus to work with.

the kit lenses on most cameras aren't the best quality, and also they have a smallish aperture - f/3.5 - which means they let in less light than a lens with a bigger aperture (my favorite indoor lens right now is f/1.8, which lets in lots of light). you could perhaps add a sigma 19mm f/2.8 to your rig, which is a little faster (lets in more light) and much better quality. they're also pretty darn inexpensive.

i find the stabilization is good on both panasonic and olympus, and i've owned or used several of each brand. you might also look for a used sony A5100 if you don't need a viewfinder - the bigger sensor does better in lower light. or maybe you can find a used A6000 in your price range - i love mine.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:28 AM   #5

I dont like EVF
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:48 PM   #6

Quote:
the kit lenses on most cameras aren't the best quality, and also they have a smallish aperture - f/3.5 - which means they let in less light than a lens with a bigger aperture (my favorite indoor lens right now is f/1.8, which lets in lots of light). you could perhaps add a sigma 19mm f/2.8 to your rig, which is a little faster (lets in more light) and much better quality. they're also pretty darn inexpensive.
Being curious I searched for Sigma f1/8 but could not find anything Sigma below f/2.8 so maybe they do not have those for micro 4/3?

Quote:
i find the stabilization is good on both panasonic and olympus, and i've owned or used several of each brand. you might also look for a used sony A5100 if you don't need a viewfinder - the bigger sensor does better in lower light. or maybe you can find a used A6000 in your price range - i love mine.
Is it Sony mirrorless cameras that have limited compatibility with lens selection compared to Olympus and Panasonic? I am not sure if micro 4/3 is deciding factor but if I remember correctly Sony cameras need adapter to use most lenses that other micro 4/3 like mentioned above can easily fit without.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 3:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicGeek View Post
Being curious I searched for Sigma f1/8 but could not find anything Sigma below f/2.8 so maybe they do not have those for micro 4/3?

Is it Sony mirrorless cameras that have limited compatibility with lens selection compared to Olympus and Panasonic? I am not sure if micro 4/3 is deciding factor but if I remember correctly Sony cameras need adapter to use most lenses that other micro 4/3 like mentioned above can easily fit without.
You can nearly duplicate any effect of a 35mm lens with a micro 4/3, but you have to take the crop factor into consideration.

There are numerous fast primes available, but the focal length isn't familiar to non-users.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:06 PM   #8

sony does have a limited number off available lenses, but they also have bigger sensors. it doesn't really matter how many lenses a system has - only whether they have the focal ranges that work for you. also if you don't mind shooting in manual, you can get cheap adapters and use older canon or nikon lenses.