Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:15 PM   #1

Default mirrorless camera for toddler shots

dear All,

i'm looking for new mirrorless camera for taking my twin toddler pic. since they're both very active, i need camera that can capture their image without blur. i'm considering sony a5100, samsung nx300m and fujifilm xa1. which one would you recommend for me?
thanks
liaindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:33 PM   #2

The Sony 5100 only comes with Sony's 16-50 kit lens which is not very good, especially for what you want to shoot, and other, more appropriate lenses are quite expensive.

The Fuji has the same focal length lens, so it's still not a good choice, but it is better.

The Samsung also comes with a 16-50, but nobody's tested it yet.

The Sony has a 24MP sensor, but the poor quality of the lens negates that advantage. The Samsung has a 20MP sensor while the Fuji has a 16MP sensor. DXoMark's measurements give the Sony an advantage, but only at higher ISOs. At typical ISO settings, there's no difference.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:48 PM   #3

The biggest drawback to the Fuji you mention, is the contrast detect autofocus, which may be a bit slow to keep up with 'active toddlers'. The newer model, the x-a2, has a hybrid system which is much faster. That type is also on the Sony and Samsung, which would make it a toss-up, IMO.
The major factor for me, in a choice of these cameras, would be how comfortable I felt using each. That can probably only be guessed at without actually handling them.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:04 PM   #4

i have the sony kit lens, and as long as you plan to shoot jpg, you'll probably be fine as long as the focal range works for you. while i've seen sharper lenses, this lens will do much better than most p&s and bridge cameras. it's not the ultimate indoor lens, though, but no f/3.5 lens is. i got better much indoor results with it than i expected on my A6000, though.

that being said, you might be able to follow a running toddler better with a viewfinder.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2015, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
i have the sony kit lens, and as long as you plan to shoot jpg, you'll probably be fine as long as the focal range works for you. while i've seen sharper lenses, this lens will do much better than most p&s and bridge cameras. it's not the ultimate indoor lens, though, but no f/3.5 lens is. i got better much indoor results with it than i expected on my A6000, though.

that being said, you might be able to follow a running toddler better with a viewfinder.
Im with ya on that one.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2015, 3:38 PM   #6

dear All,
thanks for your fast reply. so is it better sony a5100 or fujifilm a1? i still confuse or is there something you can recommend within same range price?
i just look for something better than iphone 6 since i usually use my iphone to take my twin pic. btw, in my city there is not any camera shop so i cant tested it. that's why i can only buy based on reviewer
thanks a lot again
liaindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2015, 10:37 PM   #7

I think most of us prefer cameras with viewfinders, rather than having to use the LCD on the back of the camera, but given the choices you have mentioned, I would choose the Sony.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:27 AM   #8

i wouldn't buy a camera without a viewfinder, but of the two you mention, i'd go with the sony for sure. it's similar to my A6000, which rocks.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:54 PM   #9

I have a Sony A6000 (only for a few weeks now). I use the kit lenses on the A6000, 16-50mm & 55-210mm, and I have found that as long as the lighting is good, you "should" get some good shots with the 16-50mm. Initially I was wondering of the 16-50mm could handle the job as on dull days it took some very average shots but once the sun came out, so did the character of the lens. Personally, I wouldn't go all out and say it is not a good lens until you have given it a very good workout. Who cares what technical points you can raise about it results, just as long as the shots look good to you, that's what counts because ultimately you are that one who has to live with the results, nobody else...

I've also had FujiFilm cameras and I have to say that all of them have been great little performers. I'd almost buy a FujiFilm camera on reputation alone, but of course if you're going to pay some good dollars for a camera, you have to know what you are getting into and sometimes products do change. The Sony A6000 is the one to beat today,, that's why I bought mine,, and I'm glad I did...

Although I have only had my Sony A6000 for a couple of weeks and taken only 200+ shots as of this afternoon, I am liking it more and more. It 'IS' quite a good performer and quite capable of taking a mean (real good) photo even with the kit lenses. If you bought an A6000, you can always buy good lenses later if you have to, but any camera in the same price bracket will have similar quality lenses - good or not so good. Nothing is ever given away, so you should go with a camera that is earning a reputation,, like the A6000. The more you use it, the better the results. The viewfinder is great, not quite 100%, but near enough to it to be easily used to great extent. In my opinion a viewfinder is a must. Looking at the LED screen is annoying and you find yourself moving around more, whereas with the viewfinder stuck over you eye, you get the much steadier shot and really feel part of the it...

Al
fewpics is offline   Reply With Quote