Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:40 PM   #1

Default General use camera advice needed

I am looking for a camera to use on vacations and just for general around-the-house use.

I had been a long time owner of Canon DSLRs until about 6 years ago and then I went the P-n-S route for the last several years. I'd like to venture into better picture quality, faster response, and lens choices. I kind of missed the whole mirrorless camera revolution and now I'm torn between what on earth to get. I've bounced all around, including the Canon SL1 & T5, Nikon J4, Panny G6, etc

I'm looking for:
-Size/Easy to carry around the park or somewhere like Disney without it getting in the way
-Speed of focus and capture
-Real viewfinder
CobaltDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:30 PM   #2

Sony A6000 ?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:16 PM   #3

The Sony A6000 is a fine camera, but the lenses aren't very good and they're expensive.

I'd look at the m4/3 offerings.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:49 AM   #4

What am I losing by going with a mirrorless cam over a dslr, like the SL1? There is definitely a size advantage, what would be the primary downside?
CobaltDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:36 AM   #5

Generally, mirrorless cameras have smaller image sensors, so you're likely to get slightly more image noise, slightly less dynamic range, and slightly more depth of field. In addition, the choice of lenses and accessories is slim.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:19 AM   #6

the A6000 has the same size sensor as the SL1, and my A6000 auto-focuses on what i had in mind 90% of the time, where the SL1 always seemed to focus on the background - if i had a well-lit squirrel in the middle of the frame, it would focus on the grass, for example.

if you go micro four thirds, you get a smaller camera with lots of useful controls and a huge selection of lenses. i'm pretty happy with my A6000 lenses, but i was lucky - there aren't many lighter ones available, but i like what was available. if you don't need a viewfinder (i do), the A5100 has the same size sensor and is smaller and probably cheaper. m43 does have a smaller sensor, but it's not a small sensor, if you see what i mean.

these days there are some versatile cameras around like the panasonic FZ1000 with its fairly long zoom and 1" sensor, but the bigger sensor ones are pretty large and heavy unless you get one with a short zoom, which makes it a much less versatile camera.

my husband has a canon G15 (which was replaced with the G16, but he prefers the G15). it's got enough zoom for his purposes, a not-that-sharp but actual OVF, and it's a really great camera that even does well in low light. smaller than a DSLR or mirrorless, too.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote