Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:45 PM   #1

Default Looking for a new point and shoot

Hi I am looking for a new point and shoot, I will mainly be using it at wrestling events not just big arena shows but small local shows so lighting situation will vary greatly.

I would like an optical zoom of 18x or higher, battery has to be pretty decent also replaceable batteries should be affordable so I can stock up on extra. The form factor should be preferably on the compact side.

Thats basically it of course it should be quick, I wouldnt mind it also having wifi but not a deal breaker

Budget would be around $350, any recommendations?
iamloco724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:56 PM   #2

The Panasonic FZ200 (24x zoom) is a good zoom camera, that could give what you want.

If it's to large ,look at the Panasonic ZS50 (TZ70) or the Sony HX90V (both 30x zoom).

Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Dec 12, 2015 at 1:48 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:55 PM   #3

What do you think of these two

Canon Powershot SX710 or the Nikon Coolpix S9900

I am coming from a Sony HX-20V, So anything that is an improvement on quality would be fine with me it has some issues and isnt worth repairing which is why I am looking for a new one
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:05 AM   #4

They are not bad, but the the Panasonic ZS50(TZ70) and the Sony HX90V are the best in the this type of camera's. But with any off this four you can take good pictures.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2016, 3:48 PM   #5

So I wound up gettin the SX710 and im not happy with it the zoom is great but for what I'm using it for its not getting shots off fast enough there is alot of delay for whatever reason my old Sony doesn't even have this issue. Besides that issue I go to wrestling events and the action shots are often blurry. I can't get anything professional with a removable lens as these won't be allowed in alot of the events I want to know if there is something is the 300 to 600 range that will be good for these action shots it would be a plus if it had a decent zoom on it too but I know that can be hard to come by. Only other important features is WiFi and has to be compact, cant go bulky.

One I have had my eye on is the Sony RX100 II, like I said only issue is the zoom but I guess I might have to compromise with this if I want what I stated above.

I don't know too much about cameras so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 2:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamloco724 View Post
So I wound up gettin the SX710 and im not happy with it the zoom is great but for what I'm using it for its not getting shots off fast enough there is alot of delay for whatever reason my old Sony doesn't even have this issue. Besides that issue I go to wrestling events and the action shots are often blurry. I can't get anything professional with a removable lens as these won't be allowed in alot of the events I want to know if there is something is the 300 to 600 range that will be good for these action shots it would be a plus if it had a decent zoom on it too but I know that can be hard to come by. Only other important features is WiFi and has to be compact, cant go bulky.

One I have had my eye on is the Sony RX100 II, like I said only issue is the zoom but I guess I might have to compromise with this if I want what I stated above.

I don't know too much about cameras so any help would be greatly appreciated!
As rudimaes pointed out the Panasonic FZ200 really fits almost all your needs. The reason you are getting blurry shots is that the shutter is not fast enough, to get a faster shutter speed you need more light coming in, that's the main advantage of the FZ200, with it's fast constant f2.8 aperture it can get in more light. The FZ200 also has Optical Image Stabilization which will also help with sharper pictures as it stabilizes the lens canceling out small movements in your hand.

The one thing it is lacking is WiFi but this can be solved with an Eye-Fi SD card or just get a card reader compatible with your phone like this one for android or this one for apple and you can just take the SD card out of the camera and post from your phone.

To be honest I find most camera WiFi implementations are slower and more painful to use than just getting two cards and a reader. When I got a camera with WiFi I thought I'd use it to download pictures as part of my work flow, but this just doesn't happen. The problem is that all the implementations I have seen are via adhoc wifi meaning you have to join a network created by the camera.

Last edited by ramcewan; Feb 23, 2016 at 2:17 PM.
ramcewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:40 PM   #7

Hi

The Panasonic FZ200is not compact enough for me.

I am currently looking at the Canon G7X or the Sony RX100 II

This is the price point im looking at and these seems like greatly quality cameras

my two issues one being the zoom, do you think its acceptable to to use cropping after the fact to get the desired closeness I want

Another thing that concerning about the Sony one is quality control, there seems to be a decent amount of hardware issues later on in some reviews

I am also concerned about dust getting on the sensor as I have had this issue with cameras before anything I can do to prevent this?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:44 AM   #8

Have you looked into the Nikon 1 J5? Small, takes good low light shots.And you have full control over shutter speed and other settings. Not to mention that it can shoot 60 frames a second, might be handy for boxing matches. Just make sure you have a fast SD card installed. I've taken shots with my J5 at ISO 3200 with great results. At 6400 I'll need to clean it up a bit in PS or elements. Cropping is fine as long as you have a decent camera and lenses. On DSLR cameras dust is a issue you live with. Just get a Carson lighted loupe and a rocket blower to get rid of those pesky dust bunnies.
Weebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:36 AM   #9

I just picked up a Panasonic ZS40 mainly for an in-car camera and for those times when the DSLRs or the FZ1000 is not allowed or impractical. Also, the price was WAY too good to pass up! Anyways, these are some initial shots before I did much "tweaking" in the settings. Some in "Intelligent Auto", some in aperture mode. All handheld, through the front window on a VERY overcast day.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Mar 8, 2016 at 9:38 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote