Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 30, 2015, 2:47 PM   #1

Default What is the best bang for the buck Camera?

I am still having a hard time choosing which camera to buy. I really need help guys. Please help me choose a camera to buy out of all these 8 cameras. Out of all these 8 Cameras, which camera is the best for me? The P610, WX500, HX90V, A5100, FZ200, DMC-GF7, SX60 HS, or the S9900? Which of these 8 cameras is the best in low light? I do not like a lot of noise in low light. I want a good camera to take pictures and record video for vlogging. I am looking for a camera with a tiltable/swivel screen or articulated LCD for selfies, shoots 1080p 60p video, has great low light performance with little to no noise in low light, and that costs $400 and under. I need help finding more cameras that are better than these 8 cameras. Maybe these 8 cameras that I found are not good enough and there are better cameras out there that I have never heard of. No noise in low light is what I like. It seems like the cameras with the larger zoom like the P610 struggle in low light. While the cameras with the smaller zoom like the A5100 are much better in low light. Why are cameras with smaller zooms better in low light? Is zoom important when it comes to cameras? I do like to zoom at far away things, but maybe zoom is not as important as larger image sensor and a wider aperture.

What is the best bang for the buck camera that has all the features I want for $400. The best bang for the buck camera. Again, I am looking for a camera with a swivel screen or articulated LCD for selfies, shoots 1080p 60p video, has great low light performance with little to no noise, Large Zoom, and that costs $400 best bang for the buck. I would like camera recommendations from you guys. Which of the 8 cameras would you guys pick? The P610, WX500, HX90V, A5100, FZ200, DMC-GF7, SX60 HS, or the S9900? The only problem I have with some of the 8 cameras is the small zoom. I do like to zoom at far way objects. Does anyone have anymore camera recommendations? I would like someone to tell me cameras I have never heard of before that are similar to these 8 cameras.

Last edited by kennyreid95; Dec 31, 2015 at 3:07 AM.
kennyreid95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:05 PM   #2

The cameras with more zoom have MUCH smaller sensors- and is the reason why they struggle in low-light- more so than the lens-range itself. Of course,long-lenses are often "slow" lenses (not letting great amounts of light in) which only exaggerates the problem.

Interestingly- as the FZ200 made your list- I'd question as to whether size is really an issue also..!
None of the compact superzooms will suffice in low-light and the GF-7 like the A5100's performance is lens dependent (though I'd rather the Sony than the Panny).
The FZ200 has a faster lens than the P610 (and a better AF system)- but again,that small sensor limit's its low-light performance.

What you seem to be looking for is a "jack of all trades and master of none" which won't be easy within your stated budget- and most will be a compromise in some way...

For what it's worth- of those you mention- I'd go with the RX100 II
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
The cameras with more zoom have MUCH smaller sensors- and is the reason why they struggle in low-light- more so than the lens-range itself. Of course,long-lenses are often "slow" lenses (not letting great amounts of light in) which only exaggerates the problem.

Interestingly- as the FZ200 made your list- I'd question as to whether size is really an issue also..!
None of the compact superzooms will suffice in low-light and the GF-7 like the A5100's performance is lens dependent (though I'd rather the Sony than the Panny).
The FZ200 has a faster lens than the P610 (and a better AF system)- but again,that small sensor limit's its low-light performance.

What you seem to be looking for is a "jack of all trades and master of none" which won't be easy within your stated budget- and most will be a compromise in some way...

For what it's worth- of those you mention- I'd go with the RX100 II

Maybe there is a great $400 bang for the buck camera with all the features I want. I would probably have to buy a used camera, used cameras are cheaper. What camera has decent low light performance? I won't ask for "best" low light performance because the best usually is more expensive. Decent low light performance is cheaper. So what camera has decent low light performance? What cameras would you guys pick out of the 9 cameras? Again, I would like some more camera recommendations please.

Last edited by kennyreid95; Dec 30, 2015 at 7:52 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:40 AM   #4

no such camera exists. the bigger the sensor and faster the aperture, the heavier the camera. to combat that, bigger sensor cameras often have shorter zoom lengths. the panasonic FZ1000 is a great compromise camera with an articulated screen, nice zoom and larger sensor, but it's fairly pricy and it's big. maybe you could find a used one near your price range if the size doesn't scare you off. i wouldn't say it has little to no noise in low light, but it has less noise than many. the one i rented was pretty great.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2015, 1:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcake View Post
no such camera exists. the bigger the sensor and faster the aperture, the heavier the camera. to combat that, bigger sensor cameras often have shorter zoom lengths. the panasonic FZ1000 is a great compromise camera with an articulated screen, nice zoom and larger sensor, but it's fairly pricy and it's big. maybe you could find a used one near your price range if the size doesn't scare you off. i wouldn't say it has little to no noise in low light, but it has less noise than many. the one i rented was pretty great.
Maybe there is a great $400 bang for the buck camera with all the features I want. I would probably have to buy a used camera, used cameras are cheaper. What camera has decent low light performance? I won't ask for "best" low light performance because the best usually is more expensive. Decent low light performance is cheaper. So what camera has decent low light performance? What cameras would you guys pick out of the 8 cameras? Again, I would like some more camera recommendations please.

I just can't believe it. All this time I thought the RX100 II had a flip up selfie screen. I was so wrong. The RX100 II does not have a flip up selfie screen. So I can cross the RX100 II off my list now.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyreid95 View Post
I just can't believe it. All this time I thought the RX100 II had a flip up selfie screen. I was so wrong. The RX100 II does not have a flip up selfie screen. So I can cross the RX100 II off my list now.
While the RX100 does have a tiltable LCD Screen, it doesn't tilt up all the way for selfies.

But it will go you one better. You can use your smartphone as a viewfinder, and even control many of its functions using the PlayMemories Mobile App.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:45 AM   #7

yeah, but the RX100 only has a 28-100mm zoom, and he's looking for a long zoom.

kennyreid95, the closest you're going to come is the FZ200. yes, it's going to have noise in low light, but as you zoom out, it has a constant 2.8 aperture that will mean less noise compared to other small sensor cameras the farther you zoom. also you can remove a lot of the noise in post.

otherwise i'll reiterate what i already said. there is NO long zoom, large sensor camera as physics dicates that would need a much bigger camera and is more complex to create, so the FZ1000 is as close as you're going to get at any price and at any age. your option would be to buy a removable lens camera (DSLR, M4/3, other mirrorless) and gradually build your lens collection. and leads back to the A5100. if you got it without the kit lens - which i'm pretty happy with - you could get a fast prime or the zoom lens, but there are no fast zoom lenses for sony e-mount.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote