Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 1, 2016, 2:30 AM   #1

Default Sony A5100 vs Canon G7X vs Panasonic FZ200

Which of these 3 cameras should I buy? Sony A5100, Canon G7X or the Panasonic FZ200? Which camera would you guys buy? A Large camera zoom is important to me so maybe I should get the FZ200 with it's larger zoom. But low light performance is also important to me, The G7X and the A5100 have better low light performance than the FZ200 because they have larger sensors. Is a larger zoom important to you guys? The G7X and A5100 have small zoom. I am not sure which camera to buy. Happy New Year
kennyreid95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:16 AM   #2

Low light performce is only usefull if you take many pictures, when there's not much light.
In 99% of the time there is enough light (natural or artificial) to take good pics and video's.
If you could raise your budget a little you could go for the Panasonic FZ300. Very versatile with the same good and fast 24x zoomlens as the FZ200.
This camera has much more interresting abd better features than the FZ200 (f.i. 4K video)
Happy New Year and a healthy 2016.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Jan 1, 2016 at 4:20 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudimaes View Post
Low light performce is only usefull if you take many pictures, when there's not much light.
In 99% of the time there is enough light (natural or artificial) to take good pics and video's.
If you could raise your budget a little you could go for the Panasonic FZ300. Very versatile with the same good and fast 24x zoomlens as the FZ200.
This camera has much more interresting abd better features than the FZ200 (f.i. 4K video)
Happy New Year and a healthy 2016.
Rudi
So should I get the Canon G7X instead of the FZ200? Even though a G7X has small zoom.
kennyreid95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:46 AM   #4

What do you want to shoot?

DxOMark test results show the Sony A5100 better than the Canon GX 7 which is better than the Panasonic FZ200, in both image noise (SNR 18%) and dynamic range.

The A5100 is an interchangeable lens camera, so you can get lots of zoom range by changing lenses.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:09 PM   #5

I'll jump in and second TCav's recommendation for the A5100. You can get the camera with a basic lens now, and have something to learn with and get started taking pictures. In time, you will find out from your own shooting, whether you need the long focal lengths, or want to do close-ups/portraits, and can then buy a lens to suit,
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2016, 1:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I'll jump in and second TCav's recommendation for the A5100. ...
I'm not necessarily recommending the A5100. I just believe that, of the three, it would be the most capable choice by virtue of it being an interchangeable lens camera. The problem with the A5100, or any of the Sony E-Mount cameras is that most of the lenses are either very expensive or not very good, and usually both. But from among them, I'd recommend the A6000 body with the 18-200 zoom, but if you're looking for something small, light and not overly expensive, that won't work. While larger sensors produce better image quality, they also require bigger, heavier, more expensive lenses.

What we have here is a philosophical question. So to bring it back to a practical discussion, I reiterate: What do you want to shoot?

Last edited by TCav; Jan 1, 2016 at 1:35 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:24 PM   #7

OK. I understood that you were only making a recommendation from the OP's list, and that is what I was agreeing with, even if it might not be the best camera possible.
The question of what he wants to shoot is something that I tried to cover by suggesting he find that out for himself when he discovers the limitations of the kit lens. I think a lot of us have initial thoughts about what type of photography interests us, and then, with experience, find we are drawn to something else.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:35 PM   #8

True, and you make a good point. But a lot of people aren't interested in the art form as much as they are of taking good pictures of the events that surround them, which is why I ask the question.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:40 PM   #9

I am serious in photography, because this is my hobby and I also need it for work and traveling documentation. I own Canon DSLR 6D full frame and fas my second camera I used to have Canon Prosumer Camera G1X.

I have no issue with both cameras until one day my old G1X failed to focus accurately. And, Canon Canon Service Center told me it cost about US $300 to repair. So, I decided to buy a new camera to replace my Canon G1X.

My options was Canon G7X, Sony RX 100 III and Sony Mirorless A6000. I prefer Sony mirorless (APSC) because of many good reviews. However, I choosed Sony Mirrorless A5100 instead because it has flip over screen for selfie. By now, I have been using it for extensive traveling for 3 months.

I was so much disappointed by the Sony A5100 camera performance. Its performance far below my Canon G1X in terms of focusing, low light capability and ease of use.
Mytrueops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:48 AM   #10

that doesn't sound right. have you explored the various modes and settings of your A5100?
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote