Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:08 PM   #1
Taz

Default Replacing older SLR

I'm looking to replace my Canon 40D. I want more megapixels and the noise pixels at low and high iso demotivates me. I shoot mainly Nature, landscape,animals,waterfalls,plants,macros. I was looking at the new Canon 80D and Canon 7D Mark II. These are the top $ in my budget.My lenses are Kit 17x85 and Sigma 120x400 HSM
Thanks Jim
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:14 PM   #2

The 7D II and the 70D are both better than the 40D, but only by about half a stop with image noise. For dynamic range, the difference between the 40D and the 70D is closer to a full stop, with the 7D II about a half stop better still. The 70D and the 7D II both have a greater ISO range than the 40D.

They both have 20MP sensors compared to the 10MP sensor in your 40D. Resolution all by itself makes image noise less obtrusive.

For its day (2007), the 40D was a fine camera but time has passed it by.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:06 PM   #3
Taz

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The 7D II and the 70D are both better than the 40D, but only by about half a stop with image noise. For dynamic range, the difference between the 40D and the 70D is closer to a full stop, with the 7D II about a half stop better still. The 70D and the 7D II both have a greater ISO range than the 40D.

They both have 20MP sensors compared to the 10MP sensor in your 40D. Resolution all by itself makes image noise less obtrusive.

For its day (2007), the 40D was a fine camera but time has passed it by.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks TCav for taking the time to answer. I am pleased by the increase in dynamic range and higher working ISO usually Means Less noise at a given level.
Thanks Jim
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote