Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 24, 2016, 9:46 AM   #1

Default Purchasing new camera. Need advice.

Good morning. I'm going to purchase a new camera with in the next couple weeks. The primary use will be to photograph & video my daughter's lacrosse games. I also plan to photograph reptiles & amphibians in the wild.

I've done a lot of reading/YouTube (exhausting). I was originally going to purchase a DSLR like the Nikon D5500, but upon further research, it appears mirror less may be a better option due to its superior video recording??

As I started looking into the mirror less cameras, the 2 cameras that fit my price range $500-$700 are the Panasonic G7, and the Samsung NX500. Both get great reviews for both photos and videos. The G7 seems to hold a slight edge over the NX500 by most reviewers, although the NX500 appears to have better specs. I would appreciate any input, thoughts, suggestions etc. I most likely will use the kit lens at first until I can purchase a better lens. Thanks.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:08 PM   #2

Check for the availibility of proper lenses for your intended purposes before getting to far into deciding brand and model.

While either of your choices should be fine for video and wildlife, sports photography for quick moving subjects is were these cameras and lens combos will have problems.

For sports shooting you are looking for fast focusing f/2.8 zoom lenses suited to the distances you will be shooting. Reviews can be misleading at times. Using my older Sony as an example my Tamron 15-50 f/2.8 lens is a well reviewed photography lens for general purpose shooting. So far so good until a person tries sports shooting and discovers it does not focus fast enough for burst shooting on quick moving subjects. My Sigma f/2.8 APO HSM lenses will focus on quick moving objects during burst shooting without issue. Doing a quick search at B&H did not show much for sports lenses for the Micro 4/3rds format. I did see an f/4 lens that should work for daytime shooting listed in the neighborhood of $1,700.

For sports pay attention to a cameras burst mode and its ability to autofocus shot to shot when shooting quick moving objects.

For me personally I prefer to keep my video and photo cameras seperate. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2016, 12:31 PM   #3

There are two autofocus methods widely used in modern cameras:

Phase Detection - This method is faster, but not quite as accurate. In addition, when the subject is moving, this method detects whether it is moving closer or farther away, so it works better for moving subjects, as in Sports/Action/Wildlife Photography.

Contrast Detection - This method is more accurate, but relies greatly on the processing speed of the camera, so it's slower. And if the subject moves, it has a 50/50 chance of guessing correctly which way it went.

Phase Detection AF is in every dSLR, and is rarely found in mirrorless cameras.

In addition, larger image sensors used in dSLRs produce images with less image noise and greater dynamic range than the smaller image sensors widely used in mirrorless cameras.

And as Old Boat Guy posted, its the selection of lenses for your chosen field of photography that matters most, and dSLRs have the greatest selection of lenses for any purpose.

Last edited by TCav; Apr 25, 2016 at 5:44 AM. Reason: Pointed out that PDAF is JUST in dSLRs.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodingi View Post
Good morning. I'm going to purchase a new camera with in the next couple weeks. The primary use will be to photograph & video my daughter's lacrosse games. I also plan to photograph reptiles & amphibians in the wild.

I've done a lot of reading/YouTube (exhausting). I was originally going to purchase a DSLR like the Nikon D5500, but upon further research, it appears mirror less may be a better option due to its superior video recording??
how much video do you intend to do? because of it's lack of a mirror and use of EVF keeping things always in "live view" mode mirrorless has been very popular for video when still an afterthought on DSLRs. DSLRs have since put more effort into video and the gap is less apparent.

Quote:
As I started looking into the mirror less cameras, the 2 cameras that fit my price range $500-$700 are the Panasonic G7, and the Samsung NX500. Both get great reviews for both photos and videos. The G7 seems to hold a slight edge over the NX500 by most reviewers, although the NX500 appears to have better specs. I would appreciate any input, thoughts, suggestions etc. I most likely will use the kit lens at first until I can purchase a better lens. Thanks.
Samsung is rumored to be getting out of the camera market, I would therefore caution against them. Lens selection is also smaller.

The G7 on the other hand is a good choice, especially if you have a focus on video, panasonic has really the best video options.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:32 AM   #5

p.s. Camera store TV did a good video on the G7 https://youtu.be/cJKRgMPk1BU
Old May 1, 2016, 6:54 AM   #6

Thanks for all the good advice and solid information. After considering your input, and lots more research (ugh), I think I will purchase separate cameras for video & photos.

For the video, I'm going to purchase a Soloshot Camera. This video camera is amazing. It will do all the tracking and recording, allowing me to focus on the photo shooting.

So now I would like some camera advice.

1. Is DSLR still preferred over mirrorless?

2. What are some good models? I mentioned the D5500, but I will consider others. I want a camera that will give room for growth (skill level), and not be too much camera for my abilities (novice).

3. What lense options should I consider to shoot sports? Something affordable would be preferred.

Thanks again.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2016, 3:16 PM   #7

Quote:
1. Is DSLR still preferred over mirrorless?
dSLRs are better at maintaining focus on moving subjects and have a better selection of lenses for what you want to do. So, yes.

Quote:
2. What are some good models? I mentioned the D5500, but I will consider others. I want a camera that will give room for growth (skill level), and not be too much camera for my abilities (novice).
The Nikon D5500 is an excellent choice.

Quote:
3. What lense options should I consider to shoot sports? Something affordable would be preferred.
For outdoor sports when you can get close to the action, a 70-300 is generally a good choice. The Tamron SP 70-300MM F/4-5.6 Di VC USD
is a good, economical choice.

If you need to shoot from the stands, you may need something longer.

For indoor sports, you'll need a lens (or lenses) with a large maximum aperture so you can keep the shutter speed fast enough to avoid motion blur due to subject movement. Sigma and Tamron both have 70-200/2.8 lenses that should work well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2016, 3:46 PM   #8

As TCav stated above phase shift autofocus is preferred for moving objects and don't get caught up worrying about maximum frame rates. My Sony's frame rate is slow by current standards and still does fine for everything I have shot from school sports of all ages up to drag racing.

In the post your photos section under sports is a thread covering usable ranges for various focal lenghts. I suggest you start there to determine what lens might fit your current need. DSLR bodies are cheap compared to sports lenses so give thought to focal length and price for any brand body you consider.

I am to far out of date to make any brand suggestions.

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; May 2, 2016 at 3:56 PM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2016, 10:58 AM   #9

i have G7 and i like it. It has a good low-light capabilities during Keith Urban concerts.

Last edited by alexau; May 25, 2016 at 4:26 AM.
alexau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016, 1:43 AM   #10

For home purpose you can go for Canon EOS-1D X Mark II For more about EOS-1D X http://www.ransbiz.com/2016/04/canon...th-review.html
surya kumar is offline   Reply With Quote