Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2016, 4:18 AM   #1

Default No clue what camera I should buy?

I am currently in college for Cinematography and I am using a Nikon D7100. This of course is only temporary as it was all I could afford at the time. I plan on getting a professional grade video camera and do not really know what to get. Brands dont matter to me, I only care about the quality of the camera.

Things I am looking for: - Does really well (or at least competent) in low light situations. - Shoots in 2k, 2.5k, or 4k quality (or 6k assuming i don't have to sell my organs to afford it) - Has a lot of accessories / lenses to pair with it - Is priced between $2000 - $4000
Any help you guys can give is very appreciated, thank you for your time!

Edit! I guess it is fair to say I do have an Idea of what camera I should buy, but just act on the idea that to get a better insight on your camera preference.
Peris1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2016, 1:22 PM   #2

This is mainly a still camera forum. So I doubt you will find people here that know much about professional digicams.
Good luck in finding the right camera. Enjoy.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016, 5:41 PM   #3

I guess much will depend on what kind of filming you intend to do- and more importantly what lenses would be required for that type of filming- and the resulting costs that might incur- never mind availability.

So, in essence- if I WAS going to film 4K beyond an occasional itch- lens availability on a given brand would be a VERY big factor...
However- I rarely shoot video- and even then, usually on my wee FZ150 in MP4 lol... so maybe someone else might come in here....

Last edited by SIMON40; May 21, 2016 at 5:45 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2016, 8:53 PM   #4

I am another who doesn't shoot video except rarely, so haven't really concerned myself with the difference between moving and still shots.
I have always felt that still images require better lenses, as the resolution is a bit higher (usually) and frame-to-frame transitions tend to introduce motion blur anyway. (in moving subjects, of course, but that is what it is all about, yes/)
There do seem to be more pro videos using DSLRs now, though.
Good luck with your quest.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2016, 8:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peris1947 View Post
I am currently in college for Cinematography and I am using a Nikon D7100. This of course is only temporary as it was all I could afford at the time. I plan on getting a professional grade video camera and do not really know what to get. Brands dont matter to me, I only care about the quality of the camera.

Things I am looking for: - Does really well (or at least competent) in low light situations. - Shoots in 2k, 2.5k, or 4k quality (or 6k assuming i don't have to sell my organs to afford it) - Has a lot of accessories / lenses to pair with it - Is priced between $2000 - $4000
Any help you guys can give is very appreciated, thank you for your time!

Edit! I guess it is fair to say I do have an Idea of what camera I should buy, but just act on the idea that to get a better insight on your camera preference.
The Panasonic GH4 is the camera you should look at, it shoots 4k and is compatible with a number of accessories including the DMW-YAGH which provides pro output options. You can pick up plenty of cine lenses from Samyang or Vedra as well as adopt pretty much any manual focus lens out there to the camera.