Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:53 AM   #1

Default should I upgrade my TZ40?

I only really use my TZ40 on holidays and family events, happy with using my iPhone normally. I'm a point and click/full auto, so don't want loads of functions, it normally stays on full auto. What I do want though is a few specific functions.

I want it also as a video camera, not just still. I don't carry a separate video camera, happy enough with this.

I also like big zoom, what the TZ were all about when first came out. I don't want the camera too big either, no bridge camera just travel/superzoom ones.

I also want GPS built in, like to see where were taken, I've noticed a few travel/superzoom cameras now have dropped this, because of battery life? Also has to be really simple to use, press to start/stop on video (otherwise known as wife friendly )

I've had a few TZ cameras now, only really upgraded, when better video quality, or GPS etc was added.

So is it worth me upgrading for what I use it for? I see TZ and others now have 30x zoom in same size, I'm not stuck on Panasonic either, any make. Don't mind buying 2nd hand either, see Currys/PCworld on eBay offer 1yr warranty.

Hope I've gave enough info, basically I suppose the question is, is it worth me getting a 30x zoom, and are the pics any better than I would have on my current TZ40, anything else better.

Is it worth me selling the TZ40 and getting a HX90V or TZ60, or are they the same as such in regards to video and still quality?
So are the video and still quality of my current TZ40 the same as TZ60 and HX90V? If so then it's only really the extra 10x optical I'd gain?

I've looked at a few now, the Canon SX720 looked great, but it has no GPS on fortunately, and I think the video recording isn't as good on PAL as TZ60 and HX90v. in UK the TZ60 can be had for 230, the HX90v for 300. But I'm unsure if I'll get anything over my TZ40 anyway (part form the extra 10x optical, if its worth it?)

Thanks

Last edited by the loc-man; Jun 25, 2016 at 8:56 AM.
the loc-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:07 AM   #2

There will not be much difference in IQ. The advantage the TZ60 and HX90V have,
apart from a longer zoom, is the EVF and a longer battery life. The HX90V also has a tilting screen.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudimaes View Post
There will not be much difference in IQ. The advantage the TZ60 and HX90V have,
apart from a longer zoom, is the EVF and a longer battery life. The HX90V also has a tilting screen.
Rudi
Thanks, so no better IQ on stills and video? The tilting screen only goes one way though for selfies isn't it? If it could tilt maybe looking over crowds, then would be better, like the S9900.

The EVF would only use when have to, always use the screen.

Is the 30x a lot better than my current 20x, sounds almost a daft question but how much further in real use?

Thanks
Old Jun 25, 2016, 1:35 PM   #4

That's hard to explain. 30x zoom will get your subject about 50% closer than 20x.
But you'll have to see it to really know what it means.
An EVF is useful, when there's to much sun to see what's om the screen.
It can also help to keep your camera more steady.
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Jun 25, 2016 at 1:38 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:32 AM   #5

Quote:
That's hard to explain. 30x zoom will get your subject about 50% closer than 20x.
But you'll have to see it to really know what it means.
An EVF is useful, when there's to much sun to see what's om the screen.
It can also help to keep your camera more steady.
Rudi
Thanks, so both items above would be handy then.

So TZ40 to TZ60, still and video quality, the same?

Thanks
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by the loc-man View Post
Thanks, so both items above would be handy then.

So TZ40 to TZ60, still and video quality, the same?

Thanks
I never buy a camera without an EVF anymore. 80% of the pictures I take are with the viewfinder.
The TZ40 and TZ60 have the same size sensor, so the video and still quality will similar.
Rudi
Old Jun 29, 2016, 9:47 PM   #7

Quote:
I never buy a camera without an EVF anymore. 80% of the pictures I take are with the viewfinder.
The TZ40 and TZ60 have the same size sensor, so the video and still quality will similar.
Rudi
So the same still and video quality.... What about the TZ40 and don't HX90V wrt to still and video quality?

Looks like I'll keep my TZ40 if the same..