Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 25, 2016, 9:03 AM   #1

Default Which travel/superzoom (TZ,SX, HX etc), has best video?

Of the compact travel/superzoom cameras like Canon SX720, Panasonic TZ60, Sony HX70V, Nikon S9900 etc which have the best video recording?

I'm in PAL area, and I think the Canon for example has 25p or something, and the others are 50p? don't really know what that means to be honest, but googling looks like 50p would be better?

thanks
the loc-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2016, 5:58 PM   #2

25/50p is referring to the frame-rate (fps) and the faster rate will yield smoother images if you're viewing fast action or plan to view at slower speeds... though 25p is fine for all else,with little loss in quality- and the 25p setting is more space friendly on your memory cards- and plays on pretty much anything with little trouble- whereas 50p can be quite a drain on some computers. The chosen resolution (VGA/HD/FullHD/4K) also has a large bearing on storage/system drain.
I find standard HD/24/25p footage more than adequate myself (and memory friendly)- though others may be far more critical.... especially if viewing on large TV's as opposed to a computer screen....
One thing often overlooked with regards footage is how the camera actually handles- or sits in the hand. The more comfortable the fit (with the best placement of controls) generally the steadier hand and better footage one can capture...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2016, 9:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
25/50p is referring to the frame-rate (fps) and the faster rate will yield smoother images if you're viewing fast action or plan to view at slower speeds... though 25p is fine for all else,with little loss in quality- and the 25p setting is more space friendly on your memory cards- and plays on pretty much anything with little trouble- whereas 50p can be quite a drain on some computers. The chosen resolution (VGA/HD/FullHD/4K) also has a large bearing on storage/system drain.
I find standard HD/24/25p footage more than adequate myself (and memory friendly)- though others may be far more critical.... especially if viewing on large TV's as opposed to a computer screen....
One thing often overlooked with regards footage is how the camera actually handles- or sits in the hand. The more comfortable the fit (with the best placement of controls) generally the steadier hand and better footage one can capture...
Thanks, I'm not bothered on space saving, memory cards are so cheap, and not away long enough.

I'm of the thinking that you should always record in the best that the camera can anyway, can always reduce quality later if needed.

So the 50P must be better and smoother then, I should look for this then really.

Thanks

Last edited by the loc-man; Jul 4, 2016 at 9:47 AM.
the loc-man is offline   Reply With Quote