Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 19, 2016, 9:51 AM   #1

Default Processing raws

Hi,
In a recent post I was discussing the processing of raws (from my FZ150), so that I can bring out different features than what the jpg allows.
Last night I took a series of pictures of the Markham GO station, near here; and am submitting for your consideration two pictures, one jpg and one raw of the same shot. (I chose this shot because it gave me 'reasonable' exposure of the lamp post lights on the left side.) By adjusting this jpg I was able to get a fairly nice picture, but was not able to bring up some of the features i.e. the tracks, to the degree I would like, which the raw shows quite nicely. The problem is that I was not able to process the raw and get the same degree of (lights) exposure as the jpg shows. How can I do this?
Thanks,
.... john
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp85fq36de...30858.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnlw05a44i...30858.RW2?dl=0

Last edited by Shinnen; Nov 19, 2016 at 9:56 AM. Reason: Fix link
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:41 PM   #2

Hi, John;
I took a look and tried a couple approaches. This is what I was able to get, processing the .jpeg using Photoimpact:
Attached Images

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2016, 1:44 PM   #3

I also tried processing the Raw with Paint Shop Pro, and got this:
Attached Images

Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:49 PM   #4

I downloaded the RAW file, opened it in PSE12, and when it appeared in Camera Raw, I clicked on Auto, saved it as a PSD file, reduced it to 1024x768. Unfortunately, it's 4.5MB, way too large a file to be uploaded here.

One problem that will continue to plague you is that, if you have to keep relying on JPEG as your final result, you'll lose something. That's why I stuck with PSD as the file format for this.

I've attached a JPEG that I made from the PSD, with a quality setting of 9 (down from the maximum of 12) so the file would be small enough to upload here.

If you're looking for people here to upload samples for you, you're not going to see what you're looking for. You need to download the free trial versions of applications and try it yourself.
Attached Images

TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2016, 7:56 PM   #5

There is so little detail in the sky and the foreground that it gets very pixelated when trying to get anything out of the shadows. Raw Therapee might do a bit better than what I could manage with PSP (of which, I am not fond at all). The dynamic range would probably be more than any camera could handle well without a multi-exposure HDR.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:54 PM   #6

Thanks guys. Here is what I got when I processed (and cropped) the jpg with the basic tools in my photo viewer (Faststone). I'm not sure that one can get much more out of the raw??
... john
Markham GO StationP1130858abc small.jpg
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2016, 4:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
... I'm not sure that one can get much more out of the raw??
If you examine the yellowish overhead lights on the right, you'll notice the glow around those lights that VTphotog and I were able to get out of your RAW file and the he was able to get out of your JPEG file, that aren't evident in the original JPEG or the one you processed. This indicates a greater dynamic range that better tools extracted.

So while I don't necessarily think you need to go to RAW, I definitely thing you need a better tool.
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:18 AM   #8

Hi TCav,
Yes, I see that now. I also didn't notice that others got more of the tracks than I did, which was one of the reasons I was posting.
Thanks,
.... john
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:09 AM   #9

Photoshop - lightened up exposure and shadows, lowered highlights, healing brush and cloning to get rid of light streaks in dark area.
(Paint shop pro would have the same adjustments I think)

Topaz Denoise - reduced graininess.

Once you adjust you exposure, highlights and shadows, you can always adjust you black and white adjustments to get that black back.
Attached Images

Last edited by rainrunner; Nov 25, 2016 at 1:15 AM.
rainrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2016, 8:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
I also didn't notice that others got more of the tracks than I did, which was one of the reasons I was posting.
Also, see that VTphotog was able to get it from your JPEG, so you don't need to go to RAW to get what you're looking for.