Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2017, 3:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi Phil,
Thanks. These are not at all what I want, or expect from this lens. I'm looking for a completely circular fish eye image, like

or completely round.
It's unlikely you'll get that from a conversion lens.

These are what you can expect with an interchangeable lens camera. For a LX150, you've got to get a lot more negative magnification.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2017, 5:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Hi BB,
Forgive my ignorance. What's an m4/3? The FZ150 does retract, but the filter attachment is still accessible, so that shouldn't be a problem. Would you call this Takumar lens a conversion lens?
.... john
The m4/3 is shorthand for Micro Four Thirds. What I meant was that even though the Raynox fisheye "conversion" lens works on the m4/3 lens with 52mm thread, they say it won't on an FZ150. That's how complicated this is.

The terms Takumar or M42 give me the impression that it's a "lens", not a conversion lens. A conversion lens with a 49mm thread might "fit" a Takumar or M42 lens.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:28 AM   #33

Hi,
I'm still going back and forth on this lens issue.
He sent me a few pictures. I'm attaching the one of the camera and lens. He also sent me a pictures using it with a 135mm lens, and one using a 50mm lens. The 50mm lens one was like the one I posted above, i.e. round.
Is there some way I can relate this information to my Kodak z712 or my Lumix FZ150? (There appears to be a threaded adapter on the this lens; which I would have to step to my camera.
Thanks,
.... john
Attached Images

Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2017, 3:19 PM   #34

G'day John

There's a bit of guessing here - along with dragging up 30yr old memories of other lenses I have played with

I am not aware that Pentax made accessory lenses of the type we are talking about here - certainly the lens cap displayed does not seem that it will cover the bulbous front element of the lens at the left

The Takumar lens you are showing us seems to have an M42 screw "inner threaded" adapter on the back end, where that adapter on its outside diameter is "outer threaded" for another lens's filter thread. It will be a hell-of-a-weight on the front of the second lens

It might work for some lenses on some cameras .. a bit like the famous Heath Robinson inventions so popular 80 years ago

My 100% here is that you do not proceed with this option
Your FZ100 has small, delicate motors that run the lens barrel out during zooming. I fear that these will very quickily become burned out therefore rendering your FZ100 camera unusable

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Hi,
I'm still going back and forth on this lens issue.
He sent me a few pictures. I'm attaching the one of the camera and lens. He also sent me a pictures using it with a 135mm lens, and one using a 50mm lens. The 50mm lens one was like the one I posted above, i.e. round.
Is there some way I can relate this information to my Kodak z712 or my Lumix FZ150? (There appears to be a threaded adapter on the this lens; which I would have to step to my camera.
Thanks,
.... john
That's a set-up intended to mount to the adapter you see on the body. In the photo, it already has a lens attached.

The lens on the left looks like it has a "Soligor" conversion lens attached to the M42 lens. A conversion lens isn't going to have a focus ring and aperture ring, but a lens would.

It's not what you want for the P&S. I'm not sure I could if I could figure it out and get it to work, and I'm trying to explain it to you.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2017, 9:20 AM   #36

Hi Phil/BB,
If you look closely you'll see "Soligor" written on the lens.
Yes, I was concerned about the weight of the lens too; but he says it's not heavy. However, he may not realize that I'll be attaching it to the zooming extension, which is not designed to take any more weight than a light filter.
Thanks again for your help. I'm afraid I'm going to have to turn it down, if for no other reason than the weight. I've found the whole thing very confusing, aside from my lack of familiarity with fish eye lenses and how to mate them to my camera.
... john
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:42 PM   #37

Quote:
Hi Phil/BB,
If you look closely you'll see "Soligor" written on the lens.
Yes, I was concerned about the weight of the lens too; but he says it's not heavy. However, he may not realize that I'll be attaching it to the zooming extension, which is not designed to take any more weight than a light filter. Thanks again for your help. I'm afraid I'm going to have to turn it down, if for no other reason than the weight. I've found the whole thing very confusing, aside from my lack of familiarity with fish eye lenses and how to mate them to my camera.
... john
G'day mate

I didn't see the 'Soligor' bit ... I saw the whole assembly with the Takumar lens cap and presumed it was all one item

The Soligor lens shown is very similar to that I used 30+ yrs ago when I was playing with a mate's fisheye attachment - it does not need the Takumar lens to make it work for you

In your photo it is shown as joining into the Takumar via the 49mm dia filter thread at the front of the Takumar. It means that the Soligor has a 49mm thread / adapter on its rear end. If you were to use a simple 49mm to 52mm step-up ring it 'should' go straight into the FZ lens

My concerns re- weight and motors still applies ... if you were to use this, you would need to hold it securely every time it was attached to the FZ

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:35 PM   #38

Thanks for the clarification. To tell you the truth, I only recently began to suspect that there were two lenses involved. (I'm completely ignorant about these things.) However, I have turned it down, simply on the basis of the weight; which is still a valid point.
Thanks,
..... john
Old Feb 8, 2017, 9:17 AM   #39

It seems to me that taking your camera into a good brick-and-mortar camera store, and trying the fisheye conversion lenses they have in stock, would be a lot less trouble and worth the extra expense than trying to find something on the used market that will do the job.

But that's just me.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2017, 10:40 AM   #40

Hi,
Yes, you're probably right, but that's unlikely. You see, that would be just too easy.
......john