Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntnelly View Post
My currant camera has only 10MP but the same sensor as this Canon. But you are saying that having the 20 MP would still help improve the picture quality even if the sensor is the same?
Absolutely. There's no substitute for resolution.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:17 AM   #12

Quote:
I don't know much about editing photos, but I am glad to hear doing so might help a situation if I needed some way to increase the quality of the photos.
That's not a consequence of editing the photos, it's a consequence of creating output at alternate resolutions. And the better the resolution of the source image, the better the result will be.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
You can consider a used APSC camera from KEH
I could use help with the understanding the abbreviations
auntnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
That's not a consequence of editing the photos, it's a consequence of creating output at alternate resolutions. And the better the resolution of the source image, the better the result will be.
I get it.....I have changed the resolution of photos before, probably not fancy like you do, but I get it. If the photo starts at a higher MP, then when changing the resolution (size), it will be a better image even if the sensor is smaller in size.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
You can consider a used APSC camera from KEH
I could use help with the understanding the abbreviations
APS-C is the size of an image sensor. It's between 4/3 and 'Full Frame'. It's name comes from the "Classic" size film exposure used in the Advanced Photo System.

KEH is a company that sells used camera equipment.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:58 PM   #16

Quote:
I get it.....I have changed the resolution of photos before, probably not fancy like you do, but I get it. If the photo starts at a higher MP, then when changing the resolution (size), it will be a better image even if the sensor is smaller in size.
Yes.

Sort of.

For image sensors of the same size, a higher resolution image sensor will generally produce more image noise, but each individual errant pixel makes up a smaller portion of the entire image, and so the higher resolution image may have more individual errant pixels, but their smaller size (relative to the size of the entire image) means that the entire image will tend to be better.

For image sensors of the same resolution, a larger image sensor will produce images with fewer errant pixels, so the entire image will tend to be better.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:02 PM   #17

thanks for all the help.
I'm still not sure what camera to get, but I am guessing the Canon might be OK, not outstanding though.

I appreciate the info on a place to purchase a used camera. I expect it is a good place since it was suggested here! Although looking there, I'd still not know which one to get ... but I'll look around on the site
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:29 PM   #18

I've bought lots of used SLR lenses at KEH, eBay, and others, and never had a problem.

I would hesitate to buy a dSLR that didn't come with a manufacturer's warranty, however. dSLRs have a lot of mechanical and electromechanical components that wear and have a limited life expectancy, and there's really no way to tell how much use and abuse a camera has been subjected to.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:31 PM   #19

I just went back to the thread I started in 2009 and found you, TCav, also helped me back then ... wow so cool.

One suggestion back then when I was buying my first digital camera, was to possibly use my lens off my old film camera on a digital camera body. I would not expect that I could still do that, but I certainly want to ask about it again.

Here is the link to the old thread I started back then. I have been reading through it, but I'm not sure anything would still apply now since it has been so long. http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...t-limited.html

The camera says Canon Rebel 2000 EOS

The flash says Canon Speedlite 420EX flash.....anyone know if it would work on the digital Canon camera?

The lens says Canon 28-80mm and .038m/1.3ft on it.....not much else
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:13 AM   #20

The Canon 28-80 doesn't have a very good reputation, and it's angle of view on a 35mm film camera would be duplicated by the kit lens that would come with an entry level dSLR from Canon, so I wouldn't say that it's a good reason to stick with Canon. So, you could still use your 28-80 with a new Canon dSLR, but you'd probably wouldn't.

The Speedlite 420EX was sold well into Canon's conversion to digital, so I'm pretty confident that it will work with current EOS dSLRs. Thus, this is the only reason to stick with Canon if you want to leap into the dSLR market. But if you haven't used it in the intervening 8 years since your last inquiry, how do you know it still works?