Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 4, 2017, 2:38 PM   #1

Default Used Nikon D5300 to buy or not to buy?

HelLo!
I enjoy photography, all my spare time I shoot by my iphone. I work as a pro photo retoucher in Fix the Photo, but I wonna become a pro photographer.
I haven't had any digital camera yet, but want to buy used Nikon D5300 as my first.
What do you think of buying used technics?
Donnart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:05 PM   #2

DSLRs contain a lot of mechanical and electromechanical parts that are subject to wear. It's impossible to tell how much use and abuse a dSLR has been subjected to, and how much wear it's already suffered.

New is great. Refurbished is also very good. (Many retailers offer factory refurbished dSLRs that come with factory warranties.) Used is ok if you can get a warranty. (Not a guarantee, a warranty. There's a difference.) KEH.com and other retailers of photo gear offer a generous return policy.

Unless you know and trust the person you're buying a used dSLR (without a warranty) from, I'd say skip it.

As to the difference between warranties and guarantees:
  • A guarantee only means you'll get your money back. dSLRs are used in conjunction with a variety of lenses and accessories. If you buy a used dSLR with a guarantee, then buy lenses and accessories for it, and it fails, you can get your money back for the dSLR but not for the other things you bought that may be useless without the original dSLR.
  • A warranty means that, if a dSLR fails, it will be fixed or replaced, so any investment you made in lenses and accessories will still be good.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:02 AM   #3

Best digital camera.

At what price?

NASA uses Hasselblad cameras, but the price is beyond the average photographer's reach.

Just under $33,000.

Last edited by Peteraa1; Jul 30, 2017 at 7:31 AM.
Peteraa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteraa1 View Post
Best digital camera.

At what price?

NASA uses Hasselblad cameras, but the price is beyond the average photographer's reach.

Just under $33,000.
If you're going to the moon, absolutely. But if you want to shoot your daughter's dance recital, I'd suggest something else.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:50 AM   #5

You get what you're paying for.
Peteraa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:12 AM   #6
JR1

I am not going to answer your camera question I am going to ask about the additional comment too many people make these days.......

"but I wonna become a pro photographer"

What do you mean by this, simply that you "want to" take better photographs or that you "want to" become a professional photographer.

I am a so called Pro, I shoot for a glossy magazine, I am under retirement age so do it almost entirely for pleasure, but I don't know the law where you are, wherever that is, do you have public liability insurance, public indemnity insurance, two cameras for when one packs up, BOTH cameras will have DUAL card slots backing up images as you shoot ready for the day one card fails, professional camera insurance NOT home insurance, and so on and so on.

I started as a beginner with a D7000 Nikon and two lenses, but progressed to so called pro. It means more than one camera when you clearly state "but I wonna become a pro photographer", or just a better "snapper"

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk

Last edited by JR1; Jul 31, 2017 at 8:16 AM.
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2017, 8:17 AM   #7
JR1

Here is an idea
Attached Images

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:11 PM   #8

I would gladly buy a D5300 over a D3400. The features in the D3400 have been severely truncated which can make it a very frustrating camera to use manually... the D3xxx series of DSLR are really designed for the fire-and-forget photographer.

Because I found it difficult to set the camera up to the parameters I want, I had to draw on my decades of experience in order to get the results I wanted. So even if the IQ is better (not by a large margin and the quality of lens will make a bigger difference here), the performance and operation of the device can make getting a good shot easier.

Ethan Stark
EthanStark is offline   Reply With Quote