Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:13 AM   #1

Default Cheap older DSLR for like $100 Christmas present for 12 year old

One of my kids has expressed interest in photography. I don't want to spend a lot and don't want to get a point and shoot. Is there anything I can find on eBay that would be a good training camera?
relegated is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:06 AM   #2

There are DSLRs aplenty on Ebay.anything from Cannikon Such as D40,40D,D70,even D20 etc would do to take a plunge.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:49 AM   #3
JR1

You may want to use either a Please or a thank you when asking a question

Please can you help, One of my kids has expressed interest in photography. I don't want to spend a lot and don't want to get a point and shoot. Is there anything I can find on eBay that would be a good training camera?, Thank you

https://www.facebook.com/JRSPhotography.co.uk
JR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:25 AM   #4

Another good source for used photo gear is KEH.com, which offers a variety of used cameras and lenses at reasonable prices, and offers warranties that you won't find on eBay. And if you can afford to spend a little more, Adorama.com offers a wide variety of factory refurbished dSLRs which also carry a warranty.

Warranties are especially important for dSLRs because there's no way to know how much use and abuse a camera has been exposed to, and dSLRs contain many mechanical and electromechanical parts which are subject to wear. When you buy a dSLR camera body, you will undoubtedly also buy lenses and accessories for it. If the camera fails, you need to have it repaired or replaced, or all the other stuff you bought for it will be useless. Guarantees on used dSLR bodies will only give you your money back, which doesn't help with all the other stuff.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:31 AM   #5

BTW, I actually prefer succinctness.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:34 AM   #6

Unless you are fairly knowledgeable already, I don't think eBay is the place to start looking. The product description are inconsistent, and seller's tend to leave out things you really need to know.
I have found Adorama camera's used department to be worth looking at, as well as B&H Photo. My experience with KEH has been that they overstate the condition of products, though others may disagree. You might find that Craigslist has what you are looking for, with the possible benefit of meeting someone who will provide a bit of instruction along with the camera.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:45 PM   #7

To be honest, I've only ever bought lenses used (from eBay, KEH & Adorama), and been very satisfied each time. I don't recommend buying a used dSLR, but if you must, I suggest you stick with someone who'll give you a warranty. That leaves out eBay and CraigsList.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 5:52 PM   #8
Super Moderator

like everything there is a risk bet if the exterior of the body is clean then there is a better chance of the internals having had less usr. Still better to find something with a warranty if you can.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:20 PM   #9

Thank you for the feedback, by the way my intention was not to be rude in my initial post by omitting please and thank you.

It looks like the 20D is a good place to start based on the prices I am seeing on eBay. A warranty would be nice but I am going to pay for it and will hurt the budget. This one looks like a good deal but I think it is going to end up being over 100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-2...epid=100134703
relegated is offline   Reply With Quote