Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:05 PM   #1

Default need simple basic DSLR

I am looking for a DSLR that would be an upgrade from a Panasonic FZ1000. What I need is better image quality because in the senior living facility where I live and take photos for our newsletter, I find myself using a speed of 1600 and still needing a 1/30 shutter speed. (Flash is not the best choice, but if I have to use it, I find that the light that my FZ puts out is too weak and results in a mixture color sources.) But I like the 25-400 zoom. And as you might guess, I would prefer to have just one lens and fairly simple operation. Anything out there that fills those needs?
edhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:37 PM   #2

Um. No.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:58 PM   #3

dSLRs have larger image sensors, and so create images that have less noise than cameras with smaller sensors. But what your FZ1000 has is a large aperture lens with a long focal length, which is something that's easily made for a smaller image sensor, but is tougher and much more expensive for a dSLR. The FZ1000 has a zoom lens with a focal length that can vary from 9.1 mm to 146 mm (35mm equivalent of 25-400mm) with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 at the 9.1 mm focal length, to f/4.0 at 146 mm. Lenses for dSLRs that have equivalent focal lengths do not have anything like that light gathering ability. The nearest equivalent is Nikon's 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6, which gathers only about half as much light as the lens on your FZ1000. That means you'll need to make up for it by either using longer shutter speeds, and/or by using higher ISO settings which will increase the image noise, which will put you right back where you are now with the FZ1000.

Whoever told you to get the FZ1000 did you a big favor, and for what you want, it's still a good choice.

On the other hand, if you can dispense with the long end of that focal length, there are a number of options that can work well.

The Nikon D3400 paired with the Tamron 17-50mm (35mm equivalent of 25-75mm) f/2.8 (not the VC stabilized version) will work well for what you want to do, and if you need something longer, the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 OS is a bit longer albeit dimmer choice, and it's stabilized.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 22, 2017 at 8:04 PM.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:04 PM   #4

Might I suggest adding an external flash to the camera you have? Overall, it might be not only the simplest, but the least costly solution.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote