Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 13, 2018, 5:26 PM   #1

Default Modernizing from a D90

I have been very happy with my last purchase, a Nikon D90 almost 10 years ago. I just like going out with my camera and seeing what I can capture. I shoot mostly landscapes and what ever I come across (like odd patterns on the ground).

I really don't know where to begin looking, can someone help guide my search? I've always been partial to Nikon, but I'm open to change. I don't know what my budget is right now, my wife hasn't told me yet. Like I said above I like to shoot landscapes and nature. I considered myself to be an advanced amateur, having taken the high school and college photography classes many year ago.

My current setup is the D90 with the kit lens. I picked up a 70-300 zoom along the way. It works but I would prefer something faster. Other than that I have a handful of filters for making things more interesting.

My apologies for being vague. I figured I could just search for a good Nikon for Landscapes. I can safely say the D850 is out of my price range.

I can't believe my login still work here. According to the "last visited" it's been 5 years.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2018, 6:08 PM   #2

I recently replaced my D90 with a D7200. Going from a 12MP camera to a 24MP camera means you'll probably need bigger, faster SD Cards, but your lenses should still work fine. The D90's batteries and chargers need to go, though. The D5X00 and D3X00 series cameras don't have the internal AF motors that older, non-AFS lenses depend on, so I recommend you stay away from them.

The newer D7500 has a tilting, touch-sensitive LCD monitor and higher ISO settings, and can record 4K videos, but it only has a 20MP sensor and it doesn't have a vertical grip, so I dropped that one from contention.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 1:15 PM   #3

In addition to the D7200 or the D7500, if you don't want to spend a lot maybe also consider the D7000.

The D7000 is only 16MP, and does not have quite as high a step up in IQ from the D90 as going with a D7200, but . . . it is a good sized jump up from the D90 IMHO.

I had the D90 and replaced it with the D7000 because I was shooting indoor gymnastics. So high iso / low light shooting. No flash allowed. For that, there was a clear difference between the D90 and D7000 IMHO. Probably more so because I had to shoot JPG in order to have enough shots in buffer to get through a routine.

And where as I had to be very careful shooting with the D90 as to not fill up the buffer during a routine, the D7000 had enough to get through a routine without having to be so conservative at shooting.

I actually got the D7000 over the D7100 at the time because it was reported that the D7100 did not have as deep a buffer. I am guessing because it was the first D7x00 camera to go 24MP. And the D7200 was not yet announced.

The D7200 looks like an awesome camera! The only reason I did not pick one up is because I took a detour through full frame territory with a D750.

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2018, 4:25 PM   #4

I used my D90 for equestrian events. For outdoor events, I found a used Tokina 100-300/4 that works really well. For indoor shooting, I used a Nikon 85/1.8 D that performed very well, and provided enough light so I didn't have to crank up the ISO much. Given my experience with that, I never thought twice about getting the extra ISO settings that were available on the D7500.

I haven't tried my D7200 with the 85/1.8 for anything special, but it works really well with the 100-300/4,for sports/action/wildlife shooting. And I love the resolution.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:25 AM   #5

Neither the Tokina 100-300/4 nor the Nikon 85/1.8 would work on a D5X00 series body or a D3X00 series body, because they both rely on the AF motor in the camera which those cameras don't have.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:18 AM   #6

Thank you for the advice.

As of this morning, I'm heavily leaning towards the D7500. Full Frame would be nice, but I can't justify the additional cost. I'm my online reading I can't something that reviews better in the same price range. I only use reviews to short list what I want to take a better look at, so I guess the next step is to try and lay hand on some of these.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 7:43 PM   #7

For me, not having a vertical grip was a deal breaker for the D7500. It's a shame, as I rented one for the eclipse and liked it, but for sports/action/wildlife, when I can take 3000 or more photos in a single session, it wouldn't do.

That plus the D7200 was $250 cheaper.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:21 AM   #8

Image quality isn't much different, except that the D7500 can shoot at some ridiculously high ISOs, but it does so at a slightly lower resolution.

Click on the Measurements tab here: https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Comp..._1161_1020_865
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:02 AM   #9

For me, the 2 differences between the D7200 and the D7500 is that the D7200 has 2 SD card slots, and the AI feeler tab. The D7500 has neither of these.

When I shoot for other people, I like the ability to shoot to 2 cards at the same time. That way, if I take a card out and lose it or accidentally step on it or format it before I copy the files, I have one more possibility of having the files I just shot.

But, if you are not going to use that, then its not important. Up until I had the D7000 I never thought about it. And for personal stuff like vacation or personally shooting I still use my D5100 all the time and it only has 1 SD card slot.

The AI feeler tab is only important if you have AI lenses and want to use them and have access to using the meter built into the camera. (I think that is how it works.)

I have that AI feeler tab on my D7000 and D750. So I could get manual focus AI lenses to use with my cameras (which I have been thinking about). The flip side of the coin is that pre-AI lenses, if mounted to my D7000 and D750, could and probably would damage that AI feeler. Where as I believe a pre-AI lens could be mounted to the D7500 and since it does not have the AI feeler tab, you don't have to be worried about physical damage to the camera.

But . . . no manual focus lens would then gain the benefit of being able to use the built-in light meter of the D7500 to help give guidance on exposure settings.

And as TCav pointed out, the D7500 does not have a grip as an option. Maybe a 3rd party might make a grip. But . . . I am assuming it won't be as integrated as one that you could get for the D7200. It might be more like the ones you can get for the D5x00 series.

For paid work, I really like the idea of dual card slots. For that if I was getting a DX body, I'd look at the D7200 or the D500. For personal shooting, I would choose between the D7200 and the D7500.

NOTE: I'm trying to capture the picture in my head! Not the one my camera sees!

Personal Flickr Favs: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tacticd...7631300869284/
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2018, 8:48 AM   #10

This is strictly a hobby for me, so I'm not concerned over the dual sd card. Likewise I've never shot with a grip, so I don't know what I'm missing.

While looking through all the camera stuff, my little girl has expressed an interest in photography. I'm saying this because we were at Costco last night. The D7500 combo was too much to pass up. So know we have two silimar setups and I have someone who's interested in tagging along when I wonder off.

This should be fun. Which is what this is all about to me.

Thanks for the advice.