Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:27 PM   #1

Default Canon dslr for Macro

My first post... I have a few Canon EF macro lenses (180MM & MP-E 65mm) and an old 20D dslr. I want to upgrade to a newer Canon mainly for macro photography. No set budget. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cuzin
Cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2018, 8:53 PM   #2

There's a clear distinction between what a manufacturer considers a beginner's camera and an intermediate camera, and it isn't always what they say it is.

For me, an intermediate level camera has a 1/8000 shutter speed and an available vertical grip. If that's what you're looking for, check out the 80D.

If not, I think either the 77D or the T7i would work well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:50 AM   #3

You have excellent set of lenses,if you are serious go for 7D MKII
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
You have excellent set of lenses,if you are serious go for 7D MKII
I'd point out that the 7D Mk II has a 20MP sensor while the ones I mentioned have 24MP sensors. Also, DxOMark measurements show that, at lower ISO settings (100 - 400), the 80D and 77D have better Dynamic Range.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:55 PM   #5

I see recommendations for both a full frame and APS-C and I understand the differences (at the 30K foot view). Any add'l thoughts you may have?

Also, had a recommendation for the new 6D ... but see very mixed reviews. Do you have any comments on the 6DD

Thanks,
Cuzin
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzin View Post
I see recommendations for both a full frame and APS-C and I understand the differences (at the 30K foot view). Any add'l thoughts you may have?
'Full Frame' doesn't really buy you much in terms of image quality. Image noise and dynamic range are only about 1 stop better for 'Full Frame' bodies than for APS-C bodies, the depth of field is more shallow, which will be more of a problem with macrophotography, and 'Full Frame' sensors require a larger image projected by lenses, so portions of that image where the lens isn't very good will be recorded, lessening image quality. Plus, APS-C bodies tend to smaller, lighter and less expensive, so they provide better image quality for less money and bulk, especially if you need to lug them around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzin View Post
Also, had a recommendation for the new 6D ... but see very mixed reviews. Do you have any comments on the 6DD
The 20MP 6D and 26MP 6D II have about a stop less image noise, as you would expect when comparing a 'Full Frame' body to an APS-C body, but the 80D has better dynamic range at ISOs 100 and 200. The 6D and 6D II don't get significantly better until ISO 1600 and beyond. Also, while the 6D and 6D II both have vertical grips, they only have a fastest shutter speed of 1/4000, while the 80D goes up to 1/8000.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:33 PM   #7

Default Thank You

Thanks for the great comments ... I can now make a more informed decision.

Cuzin