Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2018, 2:37 PM   #1

Default Compact/Long Zoom/Viewfinder/Great IQ

What's your personal favourite in this category??
This will probably be a very short list, since viewfinders
(preferably EVF) are like hens teeth, especially in compacts.
Long zoom .... >5X
I don't care if it's new or 10 years old.
.... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:02 PM   #2

G'day John

Not sure what you're looking for here but a bit of info follows
After 40+ yrs of optical VF film camera SLRs my first EVF was a fright ... about 200,000 pixels, very grainy and I had to put 110% faith in the 3mpx sensor to come up with a good result - which it did

Since then as cameras came and went the EVFs pixel counts went up with todays px count at around a million while sensor mpx had ballooned at the same time

Bottom line from 15yrs of EVF use - the EVF is so far ahead of the old optical VF it's not funny. Those still using the old stuff are living in the dark ages [but they will not like reading it here]

I have used both Fuji & Panasonic EVF cameras - each had/has good EVF systems, large eyepieces to permit full screen viewing etc.

The amount of exposure & camera settings info displayed in the EVF is wonderful - and at the push of a button I can reduce it to the bare essentials or delete it completely. In extremely bright light it reduces its brightness and in 'dark' light it increases its brightness - whereas optical VFs just fade away. Obviously no light [stars at night] means it's damn hard to see, so a test exposure is needed and it gives me focus etc. information

Hope this helps a bit - What more would you like to find out?
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:20 PM   #3

Part-2 for John

You also ask about lenses ...
Back in film camera SLR days my bevy of lenses covered 24mm to 1000mm, with my everyday std being a Tamron 80-250 for many years then a 100-300 Tokina 'compact' when I went to K-mount

The original digital Fuji superzoom was a 10x job whose lens was a 35-350 nominally, but I discovered that its internal digital zoom of 1,4x did so with nil reduction of pixels - so effectively it became a 35-500 job, something that I loved to death until the on-off switch failed at 96,000 images

This was followed by the Panasonic FZ30 with its Leica 12x zoom of 35-420 coverage x 8mpx. Later in life when I was conned into a Pentax for its larger 12mpx sensor plus 2- Sigma APO lenses covering the same general zoom range, my testing of the new lenses showed them to be less sharp than the Leica on the Panny ... and those tests were very carefully done & repeated for double checking

These days I'm mostly running the Panny FZ-200, and recently checking out its lens against an SLRs 100-300 showed the FZ lens to be sharper than the dSLRs 100-300. Don't know why or how they do it, but it is sharper. The SLR wins for less-noise/grain across the image, but loses it to the Panny 24x zoom lens

Hope this also helps!
Phil
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:38 PM   #4

You might take a look at the Sony HX400, or any of the RX100 series with their pop-up viewfinders.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:28 PM   #5

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the primers. They are, as usual, very informative. I have the FZ150, as I suspect you know; but there are times when I'd like something more compact. So, I was really just wondering what, people owning cameras with the features I outlined, thought of them.
Hi TCav,
Thanks for the suggestions.
.... john
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the primers. .... there are times when I'd like something more compact. ... Thanks for the suggestions. .... john
G'day mate

The DP Review site has just done a very interesting review of 3- smallish but comprehensive compacts ~ you might find it interesting

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/45...est-for-travel

Phil