Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 4, 2018, 10:33 AM   #1

Default Camera to record timelapse with changing exposure

Hey thanks for helping with this all too often asked question. I need to get an affordable camera that can time lapse record (say 4 pics a minute) the painting of a barn in changing light conditions, capturing the scene through sunrise to sunset. What would be a good camera for a neophyte like myself to get this accomplished?
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:47 PM   #2

This sounds like it should be simple, but unfortunately, it is a bit more complicated than just finding a camera with an intervalometer feature. (that is the term for it) Shooting that many shots through the day, is very likely going to take more power than the camera's battery can provide, so you also need to find one which can use external power. Guessing at a 10 hour day, you would also need a memory card which would hold the 600+ frames.

Interval shooting is just a matter of the timer tripping the shutter, so if the camera is set to auto expose, the changing light should be the least of your concerns.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:51 PM   #3

Yes I thought this might be somewhat complicated. To give a little more background information I'm a commercial painter and this film is intended for future clients to produce an 'oh that was kind of neat' reaction. As it will mostly be viewed on the web and on customers' phones it doesn't have to be of the highest technical quality, although I'd like for it to look as good as it can on a reasonable budget.

Does this extra info suggest any particular type or model camera perhaps?
bradleyheathhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:39 PM   #4

Well, DPReview has a feature selector, which I tried out and come up with the following: https://www.dpreview.com/products/se...ew=BatteryPack
It gives a list of 77 cameras, which sort of narrows it down from hundreds, but I really hate giving specific recommendations, as the fixed lens camera I have is obsolete, and as you mentioned affordability and that you are a neophyte, I wouldn't go for a DSLR.

We have a number of people on the forums here who do excellent work with Panasonic cameras, such as Ozzie Traveller, who can probably give you specific camera models to look at.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2018, 5:09 PM   #5

G'day Bradley

There is another option -- to buy a remote control device with the timer built-in to it. Most cameras have a socket for a remote, well apart from the battery chamber, so it would be possible to change batteries as needed without disturbing the remote controller

Equally, some cameras do have an AC/DC adapter socket for in-camera battery recharge ... it may be that the camera can remain working while recharging takes place

Hope this helps, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Aug 6, 2018 at 5:12 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote