Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:20 PM   #1

Default What's a good older camera for Portraits & Nature?

Hi there, there are a lot of used cameras out there and it's confusing. I'm taking a photography class to take shots of models (adult grandkids) for my bridal hair accessory online store. I borrowed my daughters Nikon D5000, however I want my own. Her camera seems a bit much for what I want. Clear great shots with blurry background at a park, beach and then inside with a color background. I don't have much money that's why I need to buy used.
Since i'm now used to the Nikon, I'm hoping to get that brand, but would love to get your suggestions on one that will suit my need and not be overkill :0)

Your help is much appreciated, thank you.
Deborah (wildflowergal)
wildflowergal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:12 PM   #2

Your intended use of posting photos online doesn't place a lot of demands on the camera in the way of resolution, so an older model with fewer megapixels should do very nicely. The lens is the thing, though, for portraits with blurred backgrounds. You are going to want a lens with a fixed focal length of 50mm to 100mm (roughly), with a large aperture, something less than F/2. (the smaller the number, the better - but also the more expensive) (there are ways around this, involving the distances between camera, subject and background, but troublesome indoors)
Hope this helps some.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:35 PM   #3

Oh thank you VT, I'm looking at a Nikon D3200, looks real good. I thought I would go for the D3300, but discovered the 3200 had nicer features for the beginner and one transitioning into more of a pro as well it seems. There's one for sale in my town for $175, just the body, but I can use my daughters D5000 lenses I'm sure. I just texted the seller. Please let me know your thoughts :0)

Thank you again,
Deborah
wildflowergal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:47 AM   #4

I don't really keep up with current prices, or the various brands and models, but it sounds as if you are doing alright. Having access to lenses without paying an arm and a leg is something many of us would have considered a blessing when starting out. :-)
Best of luck.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote