Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:06 PM   #1

Default Unhappy with Canon Rebel T6

I purchased a Canon Rebel T6 in August not knowing much about DSLR's. I am now not happy with it. I have been shooting in manual mode and I hate the fact that the meter information disappears 4 seconds after depressing the shutter half way when trying to adjust shutter, aperture and iso. I am constantly having to press the shutter halfway everytime I pick up my camera or need to adjust settings. Do you have a recommendation for an upgrade camera body? I would still like to be able to use my Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lenses.

I like to shoot macro (flowers, bugs). I like to shoot family pictures. I was considering buying a Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro and a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens for the Rebel T6 cause of the limitations of the kit lens. I am holding off doing this because I am unhappy with the Rebel T6.

UPDATE: Problem solved. I discovered I have to hold down the shutter button half way (I had been releasing it) and the information in the viewfinder will stay visible while I adjust my settings.

Last edited by Linda Bowers; Oct 21, 2018 at 12:07 AM.
Linda Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Bowers View Post
I purchased a Canon Rebel T6 in August not knowing much about DSLR's. I am now not happy with it. I have been shooting in manual mode and I hate the fact that the meter information disappears 4 seconds after depressing the shutter. I like to shoot macro (flowers, bugs). I like to shoot family pictures. I was considering buying a Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro and a Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens cause of the limitations of the kit lens. I am holding off doing this because I am unhappy with the Rebel T6. Do you have a recommendation for an upgrade camera body? I would still like to be able to use my Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM and EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II lenses.
I'd think there would be some way to lock the display to get whatever you want, but if you aren't using flash, I don't why you'd use Manual exposure mode for macro/close-up.

You aren't talking about a temporary magnification with Manual focus are you? That's not the same thing.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:07 PM   #3

I am having a bit of a problem understanding why this is a problem. If you are shooting in manual mode, the the settings remain fixed, do they not? At any rate, the camera setting are embedded with the picture, and can be recalled when you view it, either with the camera or with an external viewer.

With a DSLR, all metering is done through the lens, (except in 'live' mode) and when the mirror flips to take the picture, the light goes to the sensor instead of the metering. When the shot is complete, the mirror drops back to the metering position. The viewfinder will also go blank while the mirror is up.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
I'd think there would be some way to lock the display to get whatever you want, but if you aren't using flash, I don't why you'd use Manual exposure mode for macro/close-up.

You aren't talking about a temporary magnification with Manual focus are you? That's not the same thing.
My problem is I am shooting in manual mode --the shutter speed, iso, aperature, etc. is not always visible in the viewfinder. I have to depress the shutter halfway for the information to appear, it is only there for 4 seconds which is not enough time for me to change my settings for proper exposure. I am constantly pressing the shutter down halfway. I contacted Canon and they said there is no way to make the shooting information to appear longer than 4 seconds in the viewfinder. I am shooting everything in manual mode. I do not use a flash.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
I am having a bit of a problem understanding why this is a problem. If you are shooting in manual mode, the the settings remain fixed, do they not? At any rate, the camera setting are embedded with the picture, and can be recalled when you view it, either with the camera or with an external viewer.

With a DSLR, all metering is done through the lens, (except in 'live' mode) and when the mirror flips to take the picture, the light goes to the sensor instead of the metering. When the shot is complete, the mirror drops back to the metering position. The viewfinder will also go blank while the mirror is up.
My problem is I am shooting in manual mode --the shutter speed, iso, aperature, etc. is not always visible in the viewfinder. I have to depress the shutter halfway for the information to appear, it is only there for 4 seconds which is not enough time for me to change my settings for proper exposure. I am constantly pressing the shutter down halfway every time I pick my camera up to take a shot or adjust aperture, shutter or iso. I contacted Canon and they said there is no way to make the metering information appear longer than 4 seconds in the viewfinder.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:03 AM   #6

Quote:
My problem is I am shooting in manual mode --the shutter speed, iso, aperature, etc. is not always visible in the viewfinder. I have to depress the shutter halfway for the information to appear, it is only there for 4 seconds which is not enough time for me to change my settings for proper exposure. I am constantly pressing the shutter down halfway. I contacted Canon and they said there is no way to make the shooting information to appear longer than 4 seconds in the viewfinder. I am shooting everything in manual mode. I do not use a flash.
The meter in my micro four thirds will stop reacting after 4 or 5 seconds in manual mode and I have to re-press the shutter to reactivate it, but the settings are still visible. I don't know if that's typical or not. It is irritating at times.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
The meter in my micro four thirds will stop reacting after 4 or 5 seconds in manual mode and I have to re-press the shutter to reactivate it, but the settings are still visible. I don't know if that's typical or not. It is irritating at times.
I've discovered that I have to hold down the shutter button half way (and not release it) and the information will stay visible.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 3:00 PM   #8

Quote:
My problem is I am shooting in manual mode ...

'Nuff said.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:16 PM   #9

G'day Linda

There seem to be several issues here - the sort of thing that happens to all of us as part of our learning process - and time & practice will tend to sort them out. Manual use of the camera is a real PITA for most people, unless / until they have heaps & heaps of experience under their belt. For me who 50+ yrs ago grew up with 100% manual systems, I try to avoid using "M" as much as possible because a) PITA and b) the cameras of today have such wonderful electronics, so why ignore all the help they can give us?

Everyone doing macro / closeup stuff will stress Depth-of-Field - so when I'm doing macro I use "A" mode and set F11 to F32 depending on what I'm after > then leave the camera to find a shutter speed. If the post-image looks a tad bright or dark, it's a simple matter of using the rolly-wheel to adjust exposure +/- for highlights and take a 2nd shot. It becomes 'ezy-pezy' after a while

As to buying another camera &/or lenses, that's always up to you, but for me, now retired and income poor, it's not an option ... so I make super-good use from what I've got. You've got the 2 kit lenses, and there are ways & means to better use them. More on your post of the yellow flower

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2018, 7:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Linda

There seem to be several issues here - the sort of thing that happens to all of us as part of our learning process - and time & practice will tend to sort them out. Manual use of the camera is a real PITA for most people, unless / until they have heaps & heaps of experience under their belt. For me who 50+ yrs ago grew up with 100% manual systems, I try to avoid using "M" as much as possible because a) PITA and b) the cameras of today have such wonderful electronics, so why ignore all the help they can give us?

Everyone doing macro / closeup stuff will stress Depth-of-Field - so when I'm doing macro I use "A" mode and set F11 to F32 depending on what I'm after > then leave the camera to find a shutter speed. If the post-image looks a tad bright or dark, it's a simple matter of using the rolly-wheel to adjust exposure +/- for highlights and take a 2nd shot. It becomes 'ezy-pezy' after a while

As to buying another camera &/or lenses, that's always up to you, but for me, now retired and income poor, it's not an option ... so I make super-good use from what I've got. You've got the 2 kit lenses, and there are ways & means to better use them. More on your post of the yellow flower

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Thanks for your comments Phil! I'm definitely learning. I don't plan on shooting manual all the time, but my goal for the next couple weeks is just to shoot that way to get my hand used to adjusting all the settings while looking through the view finder. I won't be needing to get another camera body -- I figured out how to fix my view finder info problem. But I do plan on buying two lenses -- one macro and one prime. I don't have money coming out of my ears, but I do want good equipment and am not totally happy with just using a macro filter (I have to get so close) or the auto adjustment of aperture with my kit lenses.