Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2004, 7:39 PM   #21

I am aware of that, and I think I can stick with my cheap old camcorder until then. Where can I find news of the latest new camera coming out so I can keep track of which ones are coming out? Or should I just ask again here in about 8 months?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:28 PM   #22
Administrator

Well, there will be MANY new camera models out by 8 months from now. In fact Canon just announced the new A85 (4MP model based on the A70).

So, you'd probably be better off just coming back and finding out what's currently on the market then. Steve updates his "Breaking News" page as models are announced:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:34 PM   #23

I heard the A75 has a plastic casing. I was wondering, what do you guys think of the casing? Does it feel cheap and not sturdy. How does it compare to those metal casings on other cameras?
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:19 PM   #24
Administrator

I've got an old friend with an A70, and I have had the opportunity to playwithit a few times.

Recently, we went to a Molly Hatchet concert, and both brought our cameras (first rock concert I've been to in around 20 years). :shock: We had seats directly in front of the stage.

If I had to compare it to my camera, I'd say that the ergonomics are very good with the A70. Withit's light weight, combined with a nice hand grip, it's quite easy to hold and use.

I've seen no problems with it's build quality.

Now, thecamera I brought with me (my little Konica KD-510z) does seem a little better made, with it's very solid metal case design), but I wouldn't worry about the differencestoo much.

If I had to complain about anything, it would probably be the LCD Display. I had not noticed it before, but the differences in display quality were very evident in the darker surroundings. The A70 display was much harder to see, in both the record and playback modes. It's probably because the display on my Konica is much higher resolution, and seems to "gain up" better in low light, too.

But, most users probably wouldn't notice it (unless they were using another camera to compare it with).
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:19 AM   #25

I recently saw this: http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....f=EC0110&rdr=1
6.5 MegaPixel camera for $240. Seems WAY too good to be true. So, what's wrong with it? I couldn't find a review for it on the website.

EDIT: Something I've always been curious about, what's the purpose of digital cameras that support mp3s? Is the feature meant for the camera to be used as a mp3 player, or does it serve another function? It just seems weird to include the mp3 feature with something like a digital camera.
Old Jul 31, 2004, 11:36 AM   #26

I also recently saw this camera: http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default....attr=&ocm=sekw
This one seems even better than the previous one I posted. So, there must be something wrong with these cameras. Could someone please help me point out what's wrong with them?
Old Jul 31, 2004, 2:38 PM   #27
Administrator

Look, the reason you don't see Mustek cameras being reviewed on the popular Digital Photography Web Sites, is that the quality from their models is far below what you'd get in a camera from a major manufacturer.

Sure, the first camera is using a 5 Megapixel CCD (with an interpolated output, which you can't go by for the real resolution). It may even be a Sony CCD (it doesn't say).

However, there is MUCH more to consider, other that the type ofsensor used. You have to look at startup time (how long does itafter turning it on, before you can take a photo?), Autofocus Time (does it take 3 seconds to focus?), Autofocus Reliability (is focus accurate, and can it focus in low light?) Cycle Time (how long are you going to need to wait after taking a photo, before you can take another one?), Quality of the Lens (is it sharp throughout it's focal range?), Color and White BalanceAccuracy in Different Lighting (are your blues going to look green?), Exposure Accuracy (are your photos going to be too dark or too bright?), Noise (will they be grainy?), build quality (is it going to break after a week?), user control of features used most often, and more.
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:52 PM   #28

Okay, for the CF card, which one of these two cards should I get:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-313&depa=0
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...170-302&depa=0
Old Aug 12, 2004, 1:27 AM   #29

Okay, I saw the word MUSTEK and I had to reply-- I am a sucker for trying out MINIATURE cheap plastic cameras. I've had a number-- I gave away my SiPix StyleCam which was a fairly cool little bitty camera- and I've tried several since then.

To my ASTONISHMENT, I got my hands on a Mustek Mini 3, and it blew my mind that I could take some really nice pictures with it. Of course, conditions and luck have to be just right, but as opposed to most of these under $75 little plastic cameras, I've gotten some killer photos with this 2.1 megapixel (3.2 interpolated) camera-- its $50 online on - newegg.com Absolutely no difference between the 2.1 setting and the 3.2 in terms of quality- just use the 2.1, and get more pictures. My sample pictures with details here:
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/brainphotofun2.html

Keep in mind, this is just a toy mostly, its a limited camera- but certainly worth $50.

It is half the size of a credit card.

As to a more serious camera-- we've had long discussions on another thread about the best compact cameras out there, so go look at our sometimes HEATED (yet friendly) discussion at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...53&forum_id=87

I think both JimC and I have figured out that the Minolta G series are the best compact/subcompacts out there right now.

I just had a G600 ($336 online) for a couple of days to compare with a G400 ($234 online) and had the chance to trade up or keep the 600-- I passed. Both cameras are SO CLOSE in quality and features-- which are quite great compared with other cameras, I actually prefer the G400 for a few reasons

1) smaller, lighter, cheaper, faster, and the 4MP images on both cameras look for all purposes exactly the same in image sharpness and quality.

2) Additionally the G400 tells you what ASA you've selected on the LCD in manual mode-- curiously missing on the G600.

See all the details I figured were relevant on my web page devoted to comparing this camera with others at
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/details.html

Gateway also makes an unexpensive 5MP camera, but a quick look at the sample photos on Steves shows that it has much inferior imaging than many more reasonably (realistic cost) priced cameras. You generally get what you pay for in cameras-- if it looks too good to be true, it usually is-- with exceptions once in a blue moon.

Hope this helps
Neil

www.neilslade.com
The Amazing Brain (hey, and PHOTO) Adventure
neilslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2004, 1:47 AM   #30

I've already decided not to get the Mustek. I'm going to stick with the A75, though now I need to know which of the 2 Lexar CF cards to get. One is 4x ($35) and the other is 12x ($45). Is it worth spending an extra $10 for the 12x?