Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:18 PM   #1

:|
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:14 AM   #2
Administrator

I'd give more information on how you plan on using it, if you want better responses. There are MANY 5 megapixel models. Small, large, fast, slow, expensive, inexpensive....

Check out the cameras in this list, read the reviews, and pay close attention to the review conclusion sections. This is where things like startup times, autofocus lag, shot to shot times, flash range, image quality, etc., are discussed:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

No one camera is ideal for all users. Each will have pros and cons.

Edit: There is no text visible in your query -- only what I can see on the subject line (and that's cut off). I don't know whether it's because nothing was typed, or because you're using a strange text color that's not visible using the default board theme (settable under "My Account", "Preferences", "Board Theme").

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip, I did look at the link you provided and I did like the Casio QVR-51, but I still like the Sony DSC-W1 and the Pentax Optio 555. I am mainly looking for a small camera to take good quality people pictures that has a good size LCD and a quick shutter release lag. I'm looking to spend between $300-$400.
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:43 AM   #4

With your preference for low shutter lag and large LCD the Pentax 555 is an odd choice. Shutter lag is poor and the LCD is about as small as they come. Imaging Resource has this chart for every camera they test:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/O555/O55DATA.HTM

You learn to pre-focus with a camera like that. Even the pre-focus speed isn't that fast now with some newer cameras being less than 1/10 second. But 5X optical zoom in a package that small is really appealing. If they came out with a similar model with a larger transflective LCD and better lag times I would consider it. It also needs a continuous focus mode so you can use pre-focus in more situations.

The W1 is pretty quick:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W1/W1DATA.HTM
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 11:48 AM   #5

I just read that European Pentax sites are showing the 555 as discontinued. There should be a new model soon based on their 5X optical zoom. It will almost certainly have a larger screen – transflective I would hope. And hopefully faster.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:11 AM   #6

Take a look at the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1

its a small 5mp camera with some decent features
HOTCAUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:11 AM   #7

Take a look at the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T1

its a small 5mp camera with some decent features
HOTCAUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:40 AM   #8
Administrator

Look at the specs carefully for things like flash range. For example, the T1 mentioned is not really a suitable camera for indoor use IMO. It's got amaximum flash range of 5 feet at full wide angle (it'll be less when using zoom), with Auto ISO (it should be less if you use lower ISO speeds, for lower noise).

It's also using a very tiny, very dense CCD sensor. Smaller sensors tend to have much higher noise levels (similiar to film grain) as ISO speeds are increased. This is because the surface area for each photosite is smaller, requiring more amplification of the signal for equivalent ISO sensitivity. With so many photosites, in such a very small sensor (making them much smaller), it will probably have one of the worst noise characteristics at higher ISO speeds, of any CCD sensor made to date.

Although to be fair, Sony may be using some sophisticated in cameranoise reduction techniques to reduce it's appearance.

Steve discussesthings like flash useability in a camera review's conclusion section.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote