Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 18, 2004, 7:13 PM   #1

I currently have a Kodak DC4800 and am looking to upgrade to something much smaller and faster and get higher resolution in the process. I want to print real good 8X10s on my Canon i960 printer.

After much research, I've have settled on three cameras: The Canon S410, the S500 or the sony W1. Seems like lots of folks are looking at these

I consider myself a relative beginner, as I don't know a whole lot about photography. However, I'd like to be able to learn and apply some manual settings to enhance my results (probably not that often).

My research indicates that the W1's movie mode is better than the S500 (especially when using the higher setting on the W1). However, I've read bad things about indoor shooting with the W1.

All cameras generally take great shots, but I was at a party last night and someone said they owned "the 400" (they could not remember if it was the S400 or S410) and said a friend of theirs had a W1 and it was MUCH faster at catching spontaneous shots then the Canon. Is this comparison valid against the S410 and S500 or just the S400?

On cost, the W1 is about $50 cheaper on line (newegg.com) than the S500, and the Memory Stick Pro cards (256MB) are not THAT much more expensive than a 12X CF card. Also like the AA rechargeable batteries with the W1 vs the Canons (though the proprietary batteries have come a long way....would I really need to buy another one?)

I love that large LCD on the Sony! But the Canons are a tad smaller than the W1 and have a 1 year parts AND labor warranty vs the W1 which has 1 year parts and 90 days labor (like a walkman).

Other than the questions noted above, am I missing any other considerations when choosing?

How wrong could I go either way here?

Thanks!
86Hawki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 6, 2004, 1:47 PM   #2

Hello,

My post won't help you because I'm looking at the same cameras! I'm leaning towards the s410 because it seems to be very good in all lighting conditions. I too love the 2.5 inch screen on the W1 and I absolutely love the size of the T1 (too bad it struggles in low light). Anyways, I was just wondering if you bought one of the selectionsyou mentionedandif you are happy with it.

Blake
surebip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 9:19 AM   #3

I ended up buying the Canon S60 and love it. I made this decision because I wanted to have manual controls later after I got more proficient and photography. It also does full auto. Great photos and not much bigger than the other choices.
86Hawki is offline   Reply With Quote