Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:24 PM   #1

I'm not new to cameras or anything, so I just need some opinions . . . I absolutely love the features of the S1, the only thing from holding me back is that its 3.2 MP . . . Now if it were 4 or 5 I would buy it in a heart beat . . . I just would like some other opinions or suggestions on which camera would be best . . . this isn't for like a few years, I'm looking to make an investment, but not something outlandishly expensive either . . . I think you get what I'm looking for? lol . . . I'm just wanting a digital to take with me when I go to paris . . . :-)any suggestions are appreciated . . . thank you!

- Robyn
wittlewym is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:35 PM   #2
Administrator

Robyn:

Don't get caught up too much in the "megapixel wars". 3 Megapixels is plenty for prints up through about 8x10".

Unless you need larger prints than that, or you want to crop your prints using software later, you're probably not going to be able to see any difference in quality between 3, 4 and 5 Megapixel models (with everything else being equal between the models).

Actually, you'll be less likely to need to crop a print, because of the longer zoom on a model like the Canon you're looking at, compared to a model with a shorter focal length lens anyway.

Now, if you need to go larger than 8x10" prints, then I'd consider a higher resolution model.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:38 PM   #3

Thanks for helping me . . . I wouldn't normally print larger than 8x10, but I do enter in some photography contests locally, and they prefer 11x14 . . . not that 8x10 wouldn't do me, but just from past experiences, it seems for some reason they honour the larger prints, maybe its just me but lol . . .
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:40 PM   #4

Well, dont get me wrong, I'm just looking for now, It'd be in the late winter, early spring that i'd be buying, so that still leaves time for new releases and such . . . i'm just kind of hoping there's at least a slight price decrease by then, probably not with my luck though, lol!
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:49 PM   #5
Administrator

Don't worry. Digital Cameras are like computers. There is always something better, faster and less expensive coming out.

By the end of the year, you'll see lots of new models. It's getting very competitive now, so prices will continue to drop, too (allowing you to get more "bang for the buck").

Of course, the downside of waiting is that you won't be able to enjoy a camera until then.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 8:18 PM   #6

This is true, i'm not concerned with waiting because like i said I won't be buyin until early 2005 . . . I'm just trying to pick one out now, then i have more of a chance of being able to afford it . . . paris and driver's ed are expensive lol . . .

-Robyn
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:43 AM   #7

wittlewym wrote:
Quote:
I won't be buyin until early 2005 . . . I'm just trying to pick one out now
Between now and mid-February, there will be two batches of new cameras coming out, one for the fall Computer Electronics Show, and more new cameras for the Photo Marketing Association in February. There's no point in choosing now, unless you have a low budget and are hoping a good, albeit obsolete, bargain.

Just to give you an idea how fast cameras can come out (with a camera series I'm very familiar with, the Olympus C-7xx), following cameras were announced around the following dates:

C-720 May-2002
C-730 Sep-2002
C-740 Mar-2003
C-750 Mar-2003
C-745 Oct-2003
C-755 Oct-2003
C-760 Jan-2004
C-765 Feb-2004
C-770 Feb-2004
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote