Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:59 PM   #1

I'm shopping for my first digital camera. I looked at a few at my local store last weekend, and liked the A80 and S60 the best. The S1 IS was tempting, but I don't think that I would use that huge zoom much and would rather have a more compact camera.

S60 - like the idea of the wide angle lens, and the larger LCD My film P&S has 38 - 114 zoom, and I find myself trying to get further away from the subject. But will the difference between the S60's and the A80's wide angle be noticeable?

A80 - the tilt/swivel LCD is nice, but seems kind of small. I also like the smaller price. Is the tilt/swivel LCD a useful feature, or just a nice-to-have, looks-cool kind of thing?

I've also thought about getting the A80 and then later getting a wide-angle adapter. But that eats up a lot of the savings over the S60.

Re: batteries - do LiIon have advantages over AA (or vice versa)? I expect that my camera will have some long periods where I don't use it, and then times when I use it a lot. Is one battery technology better for this pattern of use?

Any comments/recommendations? I'm not committed to Canon; that's just what the camera shop guy showed me most of.

Thanks, Faye
fstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 3:51 AM   #2

Hi,

Check this site out:
http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/index.html

Bought an A80 a few weeks back and found it perfect for me.

Hope this helps.
oikos888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:15 AM   #3

Thanks for the A80 site - lots of good info there.

Faye
Old Jul 24, 2004, 5:22 PM   #4

To answer your question about the tilt/swivel LCD, it is used when you find yourself taking those odd angle pictures that you can comfortably see the back of the camera. Like holding it over your head to see over a crowd or something, you can tilt the LCD down and not have to worry about guessing where to point it.

Lithium Ion batteries have significant advantages and disadvantages over AAs. They last longer per charge, but when they run out, you need to near a charger to get more pictures. AA's will not last as long, but they are readily available almost everywhere in the world. If you do get a camera with AAs be sure to get NiMH rechargeable, that way you can have longer lasting batteries and still be able to replace them with regular AAs if you need to.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 3:17 AM   #5

I found a gallery who can show you some benefits of A80's swiveling LCD

http://www.pbase.com/romy_uk/people

Paolo.
Rospez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:01 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying an S1 IS yesterday. I decided I wanted the big zoom after all, even though the camera is a little bigger than I thought I wanted. I haven't actually had time to do anything but review the manual yet.

Faye
Old Aug 13, 2004, 6:44 AM   #7

Hi,

How much did u pay for the Canon S1 IS?
tyrone_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2004, 8:36 AM   #8

fstevens wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I ended up buying an S1 IS yesterday. I decided I wanted the big zoom after all, even though the camera is a little bigger than I thought I wanted. I haven't actually had time to do anything but review the manual yet.

Faye

Congrats on your new S1 IS! Its a good digicam. Just dont forget to buy Ni-MH Batterries preferably those with 2100 or 2300mAh so that you can have longer power!

judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2004, 9:15 PM   #9

I paid $388 for my S1. I bought from my local camera store; I imagine that I could have gotten it cheaper online, but I thought I might want some local support since this is my first digicam. I do get a free three-hour class included in the price.

I saw the S1 priced at $499 the next day at Best Buy, but now I see that Best Buy has lowered their price to $399.

Re: batteries - I bought a nimh batteries and a charger when I bought the camera. Then I went back a week later and bought a 256K memory card (the 32K card that comes with the camera is better than nothing, but not much . . .). As with most hobbies, it looks like you can spend money endlessly on this one. :-)

Faye
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:58 AM   #10

Well, its only $339 at HARMONY!!!

Digicams are like cars! Their accessories are endless!!!
judell74 is offline   Reply With Quote