Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:11 AM   #41
Administrator

In 256mb or 512mb size, theONLY SD cards tested as compatible by Konica-Minolta for the KD-510z or G500 are the Toshiba and Panasonic Secure Digital Cards.

In 512mb size, ONLY the Panasonic Secure Digital Cardis listed as tested for this model.

Konica-Minolta used to show the Sandisk Secure Digital Cards in smaller sizes (through 128mb only) as tested (with specific warnings that the Sandisk 256mb Secure Digital Card may cause the camera to malfunction).

But, they have since removedall Sandisk Secure Digital Cards, inall sizes from the list of tested Secure Digitalcards.Sandisk Cards for other memory types (MMC, Memory Stick) are still listed.

I would strongly advise you to go with a Panasonic Secure Digital card in larger sizes.

Here is the current list of tested cards for the G500:

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ity/DiMAGEG500

They used to show the Sandisk SD Cards at the top, with an * by the 256mb Sandisk SD Card. At the bottom of the old list, there was a notethat said that the use of this card may cause the camera to malfunction. In this case, errors will appear in the display.

My guess (speculation) is that due to pressure from the manufacturer, rather than show them as not compatible (with a warning note at the bottom), they decided to remove them from the list entirely for tested SD Cards.

The KD-510z is not sold in the U.S. However, the list of supported Secure Digital Cards is the same. The Japanese chart also used to show warnings against using the Sandisk Secure Digital cards in larger than 128mb sizes; but they have since removed all Sandisk Secure Digital cards, in all sizes, from their list of tested cards, too.

The Japanese list is different than the U.S. list now. The G500 and KD-510z models now support Memory Stick Pro cards if you upgrade the firmware to Version 3.38 (the U.S. cards list has not been updated to show this yet). Here is the Japanese list for the KD-510z:

http://ca.konicaminolta.jp/cgi-bin/c...product=rkd510

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:43 AM   #42

Gee-- whatever happened to the US release of the Minolta G530-- it never seemed to happen. This was supposed to be the 5MP version of the G400 design....? Anyway- my comments for cards are from my own experience and gleened from Steve's site. He didn't seem to have problems with the SanDisc cards either- but he doesn't mention that he used a 512MB card. I have a 256MB card which has always worked without problem, and I got it for $45 at Costco discount. I've seen these cards on sale around town now for $40.

The Panasonic card that came with my camera - the US Minolta G400- was dreadfully slow in performance-- but it was a 16MB. Really really stupid of Minolta to pack this card with their camera, as it would demonstrated performance speeds twice as slow or slower than is possible with this camera. I think Jim has suggested that the larger capacity Panasonic cards may work faster- and this was my impression at the Panasonic site-- however- they will also be more expensive than the SanDisc cards for the G400.

At the 512MB you may not have a choice, per Jim's note above. And given that you generally can't return memory cards- be careful.

From my own actual personal experience, the SanDisc 256MB cards prove fast- and they're less money. My performance times are from using a REGULAR Sandisc card- Steve's test times (also fast/faster) are with the SanDisc Ultra cards, in the G400/G500/ and G600 with which he also had no problem at all. The SanDisc regular and Ultra cards (faster alledgedly even) can be purchased safely and at the best prices (my own source, but not my company) at Provantage.com.

Neil
www.NeilSlade.com
The Amazing Brain Adventure
neilslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:17 PM   #43
Administrator

neilslade wrote:
Quote:
The 510 is NOT the same design as the 500-- look at the cameras-- The 510 is based on the 400 design, which is significantly different than the G600 and the G500. There are no cautions in using SanDisc cards with the 400 or 510 model. I have the G410, and the SanDisc 256 cards work just fine in this model camera, and the 510 is the same basic design with merely a bigger CCD.
The Konica Revio KD-510z is identical to the Minolta DiMAGE G500, except for the Brand Name and Model Number.

There were specific warnings about using the Sandisk 256mb SD Cards on both the Japanese site for the KD-510z; and theU.S. site for the G500 until recently, when they removed all Sandisk Secure Digital Cards, in all sizes from the tested cards lists for both models. They used to show the smaller (through 128mb SD Cards) as tested (with specific warnings about the 256mb SD Card), but have now removed all Sandisk SD cards from the lists.

The Konica Revio KD-510z model was introduced in Japan at the end of June 2003 (I had one in my hands about 2 weeks later). Months later, it was introduced as the Minolta DiMAGE G500 in the U.S. market.

There is no difference in them (body style, menu layouts, etc.) except for the brand/model labeling on the camera. Even which areas of the chrome are shiny, and which ones are not, etc. are 100% identical (some of the photos you find are from pre-production models).

Even the latest firmware upgrade is the same version number forboth the KD-510z and the G500 (v3.38 ). The only difference in the firmware is that one shows Konica Revio KD-510z, and the other shows Minolta DiMAGE G500.

The latest firmware version (which is the same between models except for the name)adds support for Memory Stick Pro -- with the Japanesesite showing an updated compability list with notes about the new firmware being required, and the U.S. site showing the old compatibility list (which was the same as the Japanese list, before the new 3.38firmware was released, adding Memory Stick Pro supportto these models).

Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:18 PM   #44

Jim,

I corrected my note before you commented-- see above.

My own personal note concerning "approved" outside party devices-- often, approved compatible devices are a result of a commercial partnership between companies- although compatible devices may be available from a number of sources. "Approval" by the manufacturer often comes about because of a paid licensing deal-- the manufacturer will approve use of a compatible device- because the second company has PAID the manufacturer to do so.

No surprise there.

I've had this exact experience with musical recording devices, and there are examples of this paid approval system everywhere in manufacturing. I've successfully used "non-approved" devices in lots of things with perfect results.

However, this is not exclusively the case.

In the case of the "approved" Minolta cards- I don't work for Minolta so I'm not going to second guess them. I can say that I've had no problem using SanDisk 256MB cards in my G400- EVER, and neither apparently has Steve, in any of the G series Minolta cameras he's tested- all three. I would imagine he took lots of photos.

Some people have reported problems, so they say.

Steve used specifically a 512 SanDisk Ultra card which he mentions in his reviews, somewhere- although maybe now he's removed this reference - now he's posted the "official" note on the G500 review saying which cards are "approved". Note, he tested for the faster performance times he posted with a LARGE card.

Go figure.

Neil

Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:25 PM   #45
Administrator

In the KD-510z/G500, the Sandisk 256mb SD is the one that you see the most problems reported with, and the one that Konica-Minolta used to have specific warnings about, before they removed all Sandisk SD Cards from the tested cards list for these models.

Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:35 PM   #46
Administrator

In fairness to Sandisk, the problem could be a compatibility problem with the controller chips being used by KM in the KD-510z and G500 models. For example, Sandisk'slarger SD cards are known to malfunction in some other devices, too.

However, it is my understanding that Sandisk is willing to replace the cards with a newer version that is supposed to work if you get a bad one. You see reports of this on some of the PDA sites.

Old Sep 6, 2004, 1:01 PM   #47
Administrator

neilslade wrote:
Quote:
In the case of the "approved" Minolta cards- I don't work for Minolta so I'm not going to second guess them. I can say that I've had no problem using SanDisk 256MB cards in my G400- EVER, and neither apparently has Steve, in any of the G series Minolta cameras he's tested- all three. I would imagine he took lots of photos.

Some people have reported problems, so they say.

Steve used specifically a 512 SanDisk Ultra card which he mentions in his reviews, somewhere- although maybe now he's removed this reference - now he's posted the "official" note on the G500 review saying which cards are "approved". Note, he tested for the faster performance times he posted with a LARGE card.
Actually, the reviewnotedlonger startup times with the 512mb card they were using. It does not state the brand/type used.

This is one of the common symptoms (longer startup times) when you get a bad (i.e., incompatible) card. It is not uncommon to seeG500/KD-510z startup times as long as 10 secondswhen you get an incompatiblememorycard -- even in 256mb size(sometimes with errors, sometimes not).

Usually, you will get intermittent corrupted files (that don't always occur right away), eventually followed by a failure of the card to format.

I know one user G500 that reportedfailures of 4 Sandisk cards. He gave the last replacement card away.

I know of other G500 users that have no problems with their Sandisk Cards (there have probably been some changes along the way).

Personally, I would go by the manufacturer's list of tested cards (and they have removed all Sandisk SD Cards, in all sizes, for the G500 model).

Old Sep 6, 2004, 2:08 PM   #48

Sure, I don't see any problem in playing it safe if you can't return a card.

But, as of minutes ago- Steve reported a fast startup time with the G500 of 1.4 seconds with his card (the Sandisk Ultra- whether he removed all references to testing with this card, or whether you can still find it somewhere on one of the Minolta G series reviews, I dont' know-- I don't have time to go through all of these- but it's my recollection that he referred to specifically testing witht the SanDisk Ultra at one point. It is also why I compared my SanDisk regular card to Steve's results earlier-- see above posts in this thread.

So, Jim knows one guy who had problems with SanDisk, and several others who had no problem-

What's a mother to do!? It doesn't sound like the risk is terribly great if a return of a totally inoperable card is possible.

;-)
Neil
Old Sep 6, 2004, 4:36 PM   #49

Great thread guys. Can't believe I just spent the past couple of hours reading it!

See, I have spent DAYS researching my first digicam purchase and had finally settled on the Sony W1 then along comes this thread and the talk of a hidden gem in the G400.

I am now even beginning to wonder whether it is worth going for a compact at all as that's where most of the money goes on the little blighters. Perhaps I will just base my decision on image quality, although it seems that this is open to conjecture even by two people who obviously know what they are talking about.

Neil, you do sound like a Minolta salesman but yours is a very convincing argument.

Grrrr!

Anyone else as confused as me?

jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2004, 4:52 PM   #50
Administrator

neilslade wrote:
Quote:
So, Jim knows one guy who had problems with SanDisk, and several others who had no problem-

What's a mother to do!? It doesn't sound like the risk is terribly great if a return of a totally inoperable card is possible.
It's not just one guy Neil. The one guy I referred to had problems with 4 Sandisk Cards (that part is unusual -- most people get a good one after a replacement).

There is a reason that Konica-Minolta had specific warnings about the 256mb Sandisk Secure Digital Card in the compatibility chartsuntil recently. They have since removed all Sandisk Secure Digital Cards, in all sizes, from the listed of tested Secure Digital Cards for the KD-510z and G500 (even though they used to list the smaller ones, with warnings about the 256mb).

If you want to risk it, fine. But, if the card fails when you have it full of photos that you need, and you can't recover them because the card won't even format (which is one of the problems you see reported), what is that worth?