Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 9, 2004, 7:49 AM   #71

Finally

Today my KD-510Z and Sandisk Ultra II 512mb memory arrived, and it sure looks great. I haven´t got the time to try all yet and customize all settings that I got from Jim. This is like christmas !!

A big FAT thanks toNeilslade and JimC thathelped me decide
M@ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 10:45 AM   #72

Please keep us informed as to the memory card, and if it all goes smoothly! As well as your results with the camera in general!

Neil
www.NeilSlade.com
neilslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 5:42 PM   #73

Yes....6.3 MP..32.5 to 130 optical zoom 2" LCD Full Manualfor under $350 !

A very interesting new camera is the Fuji E550. It has a new HR Super 6.3 MP sensor, 32.5 to 130 zoom, RAW capability, many manual controls, auxiliary lenses...all for $350 ! Don't confuse it with the cheaper E510 and E500. http://www.dcresouce.com and http://www.imaging-resource.com are both testing it. dcresource list the test as coming late in September.

See the following review from http://www.priceGrabber.com
Reviewed by: speaklightly, from OR Date reviewed: 21-Aug-04
Strengths:
Well priced, 6+mp, all features including raw image
Weaknesses:
This camera uses 2 AA cells in a hurry
(Comment...Purchase rechargable NMHI...Camera comes with two and charger.)

"I found the digital camera very easy to use right out of the box. While this digital camera does have a 12mp interpolated image size available, I found the 6mp native image size to have more contrast, detail and resolution.

As you might expect in a consumer digital camera, the digital camera's flash is not very powerful. At 200 ISO it will produce excellent exposures out to 13 feet. By adding a supplementary slave flash such as the Sony HVL-FSL1B and a bit of flash compensation, I was able to extend the effective flash range out to 25 feet, making the Fuji E-550 useful for indoor photos of large groups.

The Fuji E-550 does an equally amazing job with macro or close-up digital photos. It will focus quite close making it very effective for photos of small items and jewelery that might be photographed for sale on auction sites such as http://www.ebay.com.

The strongest suit for the Fuji E-550 is it ability to record a great deal of detail with extreme sharpness and clarity while being handheld. The Fuji E-550 is also very capable of taking excellent night photos when it is placed on a tripod.

All in all, I was extremely impressed with the Fuji E-550. I received a lot more digital camera than I expected for the samll price of $340. For those who like to use the raw image format, you will understand that you can essentially re-take the digital photo all over again right in your computer. This is a huge advantage.

Of course, being a Fuji digital camera, the Fuji E-550 uses the somewhat more expensive XD electronic data chips. However, the Fuji E-550 is very speedy. From power on to being ready to take the first digital photo takes 1.4 seconds. This digital camera is equally as fast in writing your digital photo to the XD chip.

The newer Fuji digital cameras are marketed to compete dollar for dollar with the Kodak line of digital cameras. Therefore, they tend to be very competitive with Kodak and offer in most cases, a lot more features.

There is available for the Fuji E-550 an adaptor as well as both a wide angle and a telephoto (1.9X) supplementary lens. The supplementary lenses are very fairly priced and readily available through Fuji's own website. This is a pleasant contrast to the accessories offered by Sony, through their own website, whose wide angle and telephoto supplementary lenses are unreasonably high in price.

Conclusion: The Fuji E-550 is a top quality digital camera. It more capable than most might expect. In addition, it is quite small and pocket sized, extending its appeal to many more digital camera users. It is worthy of your attention. The digital photos produced by this digital camera are amazing and compare most favorably with much more expensive consumer digital cameras. I would happily purchase this camera again.

I will be very confident in introducing the Fuji E-550 to the attendees of my workshops all over the world. It is a digital camera that I can point to with a lot of pride, simply because it gives the digital camera user many features and excellent digital photos for a very resonable price. "

jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 6:38 PM   #74

I'll have to find some sample images from the FUJI-- for a period, the 6800Z was the most happening compact camera for a while-- but nothing lasts forwever!

-- you know, all this talk about what camera is best-- it all changes every 6 months anyway!!

Neil
Old Sep 14, 2004, 4:32 AM   #75

I can recall that I have read somewhere what type of extra battery you should buy to the Konica KD-510Z (G500) camera. I don´t know if it was JimC or Neilslade that pasted that, or if it was on a review somewhere.

Does someone has a tip on what battery you should buy if you want an extra oneto the KD-510Z or G500 ? Is there any battery that is better than others (batterytime etc) ?

Best regards

Niclas
M@ZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:26 PM   #76

I am a beginner in all this and would like to buy a digital camera. Although it will be my first camera, I wouldnt want to buy anything too basic which meant I would have to buy a new one if I wanted to learn more.

My photos would be holiday, family and football action. My question is would any of the above cameras be any good for this purpose and if not, any recommendations would be very helpful. Most of the photos would be published on the net and the camera should fit in my pocket.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations and what a great thread!
wjonesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:02 PM   #77

I've created a web site specifically pointed towards pocket sized cameras at
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/details.html as well as a more general page at
http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/brainphotofun.html

I've gone into great detail about the performance and image quality of all the small cameras- because I was adding to my own camera collection, and I wanted the best camera out there as of summer 2004- money was little object.

I looked at everything, Sony's, Nikons, Pentax, Olympics, etc etc- and settled on the Minoltas as being superior in almost every way. The Minolta's don't have AV direct outs- so if you REALLY need this feature, you'll have to settle for something else. For me, and AV out to a TV is something I have little need for.

The Minolta's were the sharpest, most adjustable, best priced cameras for BETTER features and better imaging. Please review this thread for details as well as comparative images and great details on my web page. The G600 is a 6 MP camera if you think you'll need the extra pixels- which is not necessary at all for web and email whatsoever, and only useful in extreme cropping and very large (more than 8X10 enlargements. At the 4MP resolution, the cameras are for all practical purposes, are indistiguishable in their imaging. I chose the G400 (shown below) at 4 MP, and I am still astounded at the performance of this camera at a price that puts all of the other manufacturers to shame. It is a very small camera additionally, and the fastest performing digital camera made. $235 online from buydig.com (I have no connection with this company) or at Target for $299. (I've used buydig numerous times). It is capable of maximum 1 Gigabite memory using 2 card slots (one Sony Memory stick, one SD memory card- which would really be serious overkill for most. A single 256 SD card ($40-$45)would suit most people's needs on a day's shooting.

Canon G series (G5, G3) are an improvement in features and imaging, but these cameras are 3-4 times bigger, and much more expensive. The smaller Canons are just not as good as the Minoltas as far as I've seen. An older Sony S85 (ebay) is an excellent alternative at about $200 current selling price, with the best low light performance, and control ergonomics. Beyond this, I've personally chosen the Minoltas as superior to all else under $1000. Olympus offers some cameras with BIG ZOOMS, if you are consistantly at far distance, but Olympus color and sharpness is not the best, even with their big lenses.

Neil
www.NeilSlade.com
Attached Images

Old Sep 14, 2004, 1:21 PM   #78

BATTERY for Minoltas:

the G500, G510, G600, G400 all use the same NP-600 battery-

a small battery addmittedly- as are all small compact and sub-compact camera batteries-- a sacrifice one makes for small cameras.

I bought a couple extra NP-600 third party batteries with 1100mah rating (compared to the 800 mah rating of the Minolta batteries) on Ebay (search NP-600) and they cost about $25 including postage. They work perfectly- although, the larger capacity makes them a more snug by fractions of a millimeter-- will NOT damage the camera) fit in the battery compartment-- hint: remove the label on the battery for easier in-out. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...838208869&rd=1
Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:04 PM   #79

:|

EUREKA

ive found my g600 at a stunningly low price

ive read every review literally from usa and uk/ireland newzealand

:idea:

ive also looked at reviews of competition

have not found a forum response to user reviews

however any comments or suggestions

would be welcome

i even went to ritz camera and looked at it:whack:
Attached Images

automaton2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:17 PM   #80

Yes, well WHERE did you get your camera? ;-)

There are always REALLLLLY cheap camera offers on the web, but most of these don't pan out or are very unreliable. www.buydig.com has been my source for a number of years, and has proven reliable at just about the cheapest prices without a big gamble.

As for camera reviews in magazines-- I've given up on those completely, as most are just shallow and don't even take serious image quality into consideration-- just surface scratching by camera journalists who frankly are mostly clueless. This includes ALL the big camera review magazines on the rack.