Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2004, 3:57 AM   #1

I have been looking at the Sony DSCV1 because of its manual features and aperture/shutter prioritisation, but alas the reviews here put me off in terms of ergonomics and flash positioning problems.

Are there any others on the market that someone could please recommend that allow for a good degree of manual override?

Due to a bad experience I no longer wish to consider Nikon

All help appreciated - the Canon S60 looks promising.

Cheers

Ian
kafkaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:47 AM   #2

Beware of testers who rate the testability of a camera. Or of people who pick up a camera in a store and have a problem with something that doesn't fit exactly with their normal mode of holding and using their present camera. I doubt that anyone who owns a V1 hasn't learned to hold it so the flash isn't a problem. And it feels just as natural as how they held their old camera after some use.

You aren't likely going to be shooting with several different cameras a day or testing a dozen a month. Every camera I have bought has required a learning curve. I had to completely change my holding system with my D7i so the controls I often used were next to a finger or thumb. I had to learn to hold my C50 is such a way that I didn't nudge the cover and turn it off – another thing complained about by testers and people who think a minute holding a camera in a store is sufficient for decision making. My FZ10 requires you to cradle your left hand under the lens to get a stable shooting platform. All of them felt just fine after the first day or so.

If you like the features of the V1 don't be put off because a non-owner has problems with the pop-up flash position. Go to the Sony board and ask people who own the camera whether it is a problem for owners.

The V1 is a nice camera. It is a little faster than the S60 and has a flash shoe. An inexpensive automatic flash unit can make a big difference in the quality of your flash shots. Canon makes great cameras and I much prefer CF and SD to proprietary memory. I also really like the 28mm capability on the S60. The V1 takes better movies though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:48 AM   #3

My mother and father are in their seventies and asked me to do some research into a point and shoot digital camera for them with some manual settings to useif they were to get used to the camera. After much consideration i came down to a fugi finepix (cant remember the number) and a Canon powershot A80. We ended up going with the canon. The photos they have taken have been printed straight from the camera with no adjustments at all and even I have to say that the photos have turned out very good with true color and very sharp.

I myself now have a DSLR but have had a canonA10 (my first digital) and then a G3 which I still use as well as my Drebel. I would recommend the G5 if it is anywhere near as good as the G3 as you can set this on auto and point and shoot, the G3 produces very good pictures although does not like low light situations. I would also recommend the powershot 80 although I feel the LCD screen is a little small.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:35 AM   #4

aladyforty wrote:
Quote:
My mother and father are in their seventies and asked me to do some research into a point and shoot digital camera for them with some manual settings to useif they were to get used to the camera. After much consideration i came down to a fugi finepix (cant remember the number) and a Canon powershot A80. We ended up going with the canon. The photos they have taken have been printed straight from the camera with no adjustments at all and even I have to say that the photos have turned out very good with true color and very sharp.

I myself now have a DSLR but have had a canonA10 (my first digital) and then a G3 which I still use as well as my Drebel. I would recommend the G5 if it is anywhere near as good as the G3 as you can set this on auto and point and shoot, the G3 produces very good pictures although does not like low light situations. I would also recommend the powershot 80 although I feel the LCD screen is a little small.
Thank you, and apologies for my tardiness to respond. I have just ordered the G5 on 7 days approval. In the end, it came down to thatand the A80 whilst the Sony V1 seems that little bit more lacklustre and slightly more gimmicky whilst I do prefer traditional camera manufacturers (no slight to Sony or othersintendedwhilst my brother's 2MP Sony has been brilliant).

The G5 just seems to have a more serious edge but if I'm not satisfied I willl try the A80.

I too will soon be moving onto DSLR but await a more modular system as of the old 35mm film system of Canon or Nikon.

Thanks for your help

Ian Galloway
kafkaian is offline   Reply With Quote