Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:01 PM   #1

I was looking at the Fuji s5000 for purchase and I've noticed these "grey market" or international versions are selling for a $100.00 less. I understand that the manual isn't in english (no problem, just download one), the proper cables are not there (easy to buy one) and there isn't any batteries (rechargable AA's are a dime a dozen) . From what I can tell the biggest issue is the lack of warranty and dealing with unreputable venders. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of purchase? There has got to be other drawbacks, what are they?
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:08 PM   #2
Administrator

The warranty issue would be a concern to me. It would simply not be worth the risk. With Digital Cameras (as with any electronic device), you do have a certain percentage of "out of the box", or early failures.

Also, some manufacturers (like Nikon) may refuse to service the camera, even if you are willing to pay for it. This is to discourage the practice of grey market imports.

You may want to check with Fuji, to see what their policy is.

BTW, although you can purchase an extended warranty (and the same dealers selling grey market cameras tend to sell these at inflated prices), it may not be worth the paper it's written on. I've seen too many reports of problems getting a camera fixed under these warranties. Of course, your mileage may vary. :-)

As for AA Alkaline batteries being a "dime a dozen", you'd better have lots of dimes. These are virtually useless in most Digital Cameras. You'll want to buy rechargeable NiMH batteries for the models using AA's. See more info on batteries here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:19 PM   #3

Thanks for your advice.

I probably won't go this route, because I would rather pay extra fo the piece of mind. But from what I am gettin out of this, the drawback is the same as buying a used camera (with-out the wear and tear).

I would love to hear comments from people that KNOWINGLY made this kind of digital camera purchase.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:26 PM   #4
Administrator

Leigh wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for your advice.

I probably won't go this route, because I would rather pay extra fo the piece of mind. But from what I am gettin out of this, the drawback is the same as buying a used camera (with-out the wear and tear).
Not necessarily. A higher percentage of failures are "out of the box", or shortly thereafter. Also, you'll need to determine the dealer's return policies, restocking fees, etc., if you get one that's DOA. Some of the dealers selling these products have terrible reputations of being "scam artists". I'd also check them out using http://www.resellerratings.com to see what others had to say about them.

Ask questions about potential dealers here in the forums, too.

Quote:
I would love to hear comments from people that KNOWINGLY made this kind of digital camera purchase.
Well, now that I've given you my warning speech, I bought a camera model intended for sale in Japanlast year. Why? The camera was not available in the U.S. Market.The model thatit replaced had the exact same body style, lens, etc., and it had a good reputation forreliability.So, this was factored into my decision. However, I had no illusions over the risk I was taking. It was a gamble, pure and simple. However, if you cannot afford to take this kind of risk, then don't!

If the camera had been available in the U.S., I would have bought a U.S. model, instead.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:44 PM   #5

thanks again Jim.

I have called a couple of these places and when I started asking questions they quickly tried to end the conversation. They try to sell their "grey market" products to you without your knowledge, untill they have your money they lead you to believe that it is the normal package. I'm sure you would have to be real carefull dealing with these kind of people.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 2:12 PM   #6

Grey market .... black market ...?

We need a better term .

It's being passed as grey mkt , but it is really just

defective import .

Grey mkt means excaping taxation or other gov't import

problems .

If it has manuals in Japaneese , it's grey mkt ,

if it is bad quality , it's not grey mkt .

Sorry to be so picky but what do you do about those buying illegal

, untaxed High qualitycontraband ? You just orphaned a common

term .
Paul-Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 7:47 PM   #7

Paul-Jones wrote:
Quote:
Grey market....black market...?

We need a better term. It's being passed as grey mkt, but it is really just defective import .

Grey mkt means excaping taxation or other gov't import
problems .

If it has manuals in Japaneese, it's grey mkt, if it is bad quality, it's not grey mkt .

Sorry to be so picky but what do you do about those buying illegal, untaxed High quality contraband? You just orphaned a common term .
Gimme a break...grey market isn't untaxed contraband by any stretch of the imagination. Both B&H & Adorama are authorized Nikon & Canon dealers & both carry USA & Grey Market versions of those brands. Grey market items do not carry a US warranty period!
Old Dec 11, 2004, 5:46 PM   #8

I have bought a Grey market camera. I haven't need to make a claim on the warrenty, which I expect would be quite hard to do. The manual was in English, but the battery charger didn't work as it was the wrong socket, how ever this wasn't needed as the camera could becharged using the PC's USB port.

I am now trying to sell the camera and am finiding it hard as no one seems to be intestered in buying it, even though it works.

I have also dealt with Grey import cars quite a lot in thepast, and again like camera they are cheaper to buy, but have a poor resale value, and the local dealers are not always happy to service these cars.

When I talk about Grey import all I mean buy it is the product (car, camera, etc) was notintended by the makers to be sold in the country it's ended up in, and everything I've "Grey" imported has been legal as Tax has been paid on entry to the country.
pj9875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 8:57 PM   #9

Just exactly is a "grey market" item. I have always thought it was a legitmate item but was not one brought into a country by an authourized importer.

My question is if I were traveling overseas for business or vacation and my camera broke and I was forced to purchase a new one, would I then have a grey market camera when i returned stateside?
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:31 PM   #10
smc

Here's my take on "grey market" I remember the term in the 80's when it pertained to European cars that were not designed to be imported into the U.S. They generally had more horsepower and better suspension pieces. They were legal to import but not legal to drive because of DOT standards. Remember " Rainman"? Tom Cruise was trying to legalize some Lamborghins's.

So grey market electronics can be legally imported. They were not designed to be sold in the U.S. No English manuals, no warranty, sometimes the specs are a little different. That's why they are cheaper and the savings usually is pass on to you.

If you bought a camera overseas and brought it back. THat wouldn't be grey market. That would be a "foreign" camera made for and bought in a country other than the U.S.

BTW a black market camera would be something you bought that was stolen.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote