Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 24, 2004, 1:13 PM   #1

I'm leaning towards the Canon since we have a Canon SLR now with a
speedlite flash and a couple of lenses. I have an Olympus c5050 also,
which is great! especially macro, but have beendisappointed with it
telephoto capacity.

Still haven't made up my mind yet, I've read reviews/opinions till I'm blue
in the face and looked at hundreds of photos from both cameras...all stunning!
So I guess it comes down to preference.

KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 2:13 PM   #2

I would recommend the 10D over the D70, especially since you said you already have a speedlite and Canon Eos lenses. The10D works with any Canon EF lenses so that will save you a lot of money if you already have those. Whereas, if you get the D70, you need to start your lens collection all over again.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 2:21 PM   #3

If you already have lenses for an EOS camera, then why are you looking at a Nikon system? It would make more sense to buy the Canon DSLR. This way you can consolidate your equipment between film and digital.

Also, be aware that your Canon flash may not support E-TTL. If this is the case, then your flash will not work well with the DSLR. Anything in the EX line is designed to work with E-TTL cameras.

On the other hand, that Nikon camera is a good one also. Personally, I would only look towards Canon as you already have the lenses for it. If you didn't have some equipment already, then it is a tough choice as both cameras are equally good at different things. Just be aware, there is no battery grip for the D70 that I am aware of (on the off chance you were thinking of adding on later down the road).
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:36 PM   #4

You don't say what type of photography you do, we can't base our comments on that.

The general opinion here among Canon owners (as I assume Nikon as well) is that if you own equipment for one system stick with it. You will loose enough money selling that equipment that it isn't worth it. The quality different just isn't good enough to make it worth it (and you haven't said yet that you really care about quality at that high a level... for most people there is no difference.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 10:57 PM   #5

Sigh....hit thewrong button..and double posted

Old Jul 25, 2004, 11:05 PM   #6

very true, considering that both systems are equally capable of getting to that high level.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:00 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I do mostly macro and product shooting, but also some landscape, sports, family and such. Went to a shop over the weekend to feel the cameras and like the Canon best...so it looks like I'll be going that way. Did check out the DRebel, but didn't like the silver body.

Now where to purchase? local or online?
KeithT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:41 AM   #8

Where is buy is partially a question of personal philosophy and how much money you have.

Buying local lets you go into the store and say "FIX THIS!" and (possibly) they will listen better than if you said the same thing over the phone.

It lets you build a relationship with the company, where they know what you do and what works well for you. This lets them steer you towards products which better fit your needs.

But these kinds of services usually cost more, and you will almost always pay more over mail order. Not much, if you pick a good local store, but it will cost more.

It also keeps some local jobs going, instead of that local camera store closing up because it can't compete with the purchasing power of the larger chains. If you consider this good or bad is a personal thing. It has both.

Buying online means cheaper prices and (probably) worse service. And many, (too many) places online will stick it to you in ways they probably wouldn't do to your face.

If you went online, I recommend B&H photo in NY (www.bhphoto.com). They are one of the largest resellers of photo and video equipment in the entire US.
www.newegg.com is also good, but you won't find lenses there. Very little direct camera stuff. But they do have CF cards, lots of computer related stuff.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote