Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:48 AM   #1

I'm getting nearer to my decision... these two cameras left. Who helps me out?

Both have pros: nikon: cheap, good choise of automatic mode, good video mode, fast action!

pentax; 5 mp (not sure if I need that) better zoom, manual control (although ia am a newbie, I might be upset in a few month if I havent got it?!)

The neg side it that the 555 I can only get it the Usa (I've got someone going there who can buy it for me but what about warranty???)

The main point is good pics (in auto mode pref.) Will the nikon do the job or (especially for indoor pics) am I better off with the pentax?

thanks alot for any help!

Ed
ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:42 AM   #2
Administrator

Ed:

The flash range is much better on the Pentax. It's a generous 17.1 ft (5.2m) at wide angle, dropping down to 10.5 ft (3.2m) at full zoom (and that's at a much longer focal length, compared to the Nikon).

The Nikon is only 9.1 ft (3m) at full wide angle, dropping down to 5.7 Ft (1.7m) at full zoom.

So, for indoors, the Pentax would likely be a better bet.

Now, the Pentax model is a little larger, and a little slower, so take this into consideration.

I'd read the reviews, paying close attention to the conclusion section, to decide which one may work better for you.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 7:54 AM   #3

Thanks for your reaction!

I've read the reviews, etc.. but they are both good cameras in their range but so different so thats what makes it so hard.

What bothers me too is that about the nikon I havent really seen any complains and about the pentax there are quiet a few. But if I look at sample pics I do find the pentax pictures much clearer and more professional. Will that also work in auto mode?

The nikon is also a much better sold camera while the pentax is being discontinued and waiting to be replaced...

:?

ed33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 8:05 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes, the Pentax will also work in full auto mode.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote