Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 25, 2004, 5:17 PM   #1

A great dilemma... The new Z3 based in Z2 butwith many improvements (anti-shake system mainly)or the newFZ15 (because of the Leica lens)? And what about the Olympus Super Zoom models? We should wait the reviews about Z3 of course but I think they are going to be satisfying and they won't help me solve the dilemma...

Any opinions? I intend to buy a camera in1 or 2 months from now so I'll have the time to read the reviews and of course your usefull opinions.

Thanks!

Minas
photodocgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:21 PM   #2

The Z3 has the same lense as the Z15, which is the same as the Z1, 2, 10, 20.

The Z3 is smaller than the others, and I believe has none of the manual features. It also doesn't have a hot shoe. The FZ15 also does not have a hot shoe.

The Z3 may have some noise issues, if I remember correctly.
tacticalnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:25 AM   #3
Administrator

tacticalnuke wrote:
Quote:
The Z3 has the same lense as the Z15, which is the same as the Z1, 2, 10, 20.

The Z3 is smaller than the others, and I believe has none of the manual features. It also doesn't have a hot shoe. The FZ15 also does not have a hot shoe.

The Z3 may have some noise issues, if I remember correctly.
Note the thread subject title "Minolta Z3 or Pansonic DMC-FZ15 or Olympus 7- series?"

The Z3 is a Konica-Minolta product, not to be confused with the Panasonic DMC-FZ3.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:35 AM   #4

I too am looking to buy a camera with a substantial optical zoom (8x+) within a few months and have considered the models that you are looking at.For the last few weeks I have beencompiling a list of the cameras thathave the features I desireand trying to make a significant distinction between some of them can be pretty difficult :?. Having said that here are a few things that I have notedabout the cameras you listed:

The Panasonic and the Minolta have IS while the Olympus does not. This may not be a significant feature if you plan to use a tripod or monopod for many of your long zoom shots but I intend to shoot primarily handheld shots so I downgraded the Olympus C-7xx line because of this.

One significant advantage that the Olympus has over the Panasonic and Minolta is the availability of a underwater/weatherproof casing (although it doesn't come cheap at $300+). If you intend to take your camera to the lake for some fishing or boating this is a must as nearly everyone I know who spends considerable time on the water has lost at least one camera to drowning.

Conclusion:

I don't know your experience with film and digital photography so I will tell youthat my opinion is based onmy experience as primarily a point and shootuser lookingtoexperiment with theflexibility offered bymanual control. As such I have concluded that the current crop of ultrazooms will probably each meet my needs to varying degrees and have isolated a few features that are important to me about the cameras you mentioned. Personally, I would choose the Panasonic over the Minolta (because I don't like the styling and ergos) and the Olympus (because it doesn't have IS).

Some other models I am considering:

Kodak DX6490 - older and with fewer featuresbut cheaper

Nikon CP5700/8700 - shorter zoom and no IS but it's a Nikon

Basically anything else on Steve's "Best" list.

Good luck!
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote