Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:02 PM   #1

I have an Agfa ePhoto1680 that just died and, because I have so much invested in Smart Media cards and a reader,I needanother cam that'll use these same cards.I knowI'm not going to get a great cam for that price, but I have to get a cheap one nowso I can still use all this expensive memory and reader I have, then buy a second betteronelater when I have the money. I'm a video editor and needto replace mydead digicam rightawayto finish the projects I'm working on. I'm a still camera novice so I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions foradecent cheapdigicam that uses Smart Media cards?

Thanks.
djohn1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:12 PM   #2
Administrator

I hate to tell you this, but Smartmedia is pretty much obsolete. Manufacturers (like Olympus) that were using it, have switched to other memory formats (for example, Xd Picturecard).

To the best of my knowledge, the last camera manufactured that could even use it was the Olympus C-5050z (a model released at the end of 2002). However, it was put into the camera simply so users with Smartmedia could take advantage of their existing media,and also supportedother formats (CompactFlash and xD Picturecard). Models manufactured since then don't use it.

Other than the C-5050z (which you may still be able to find new), you'd probably have to go with anolder model camera in used or refurbished condition.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I know Smart Media is obsolete, but my cam died unexpectedly and I can't afford toreplace the cam and the amount of memory I need right now. I need to be able to take and view tons of production stills on the spot, so it has to be a digital, but it's just not in the budget so I have to find something cheap that'll allow me to use this memory for now. I looked at the C5050 and it's still going for about $500...I need $200 max.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:43 PM   #4
Administrator

Well, you'll probably need to go used or refurbished then. Ebay is a good source. You see lots of refurbished Olympus models there. Make sure you are dealing with a reputable vendor (check feedback/history carefully).

If you want to see models that can use Smartmedia, see the "Camera Reviews" menu choice on the main page of this site. If you pick a resolution category, then view the cameras in it, you'll see a column on the right for media type (SM is Smartmedia).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:19 PM   #5

Thanks...a way to search old models by media type is exactly whatI needed.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:14 PM   #6

http://www.cameracanada.com still has Fuji Finepix S602 pro for $560Cdn (also S100 rebate). This is a very high quality 3Mp model which does interpolated 6Mp files. It allows external flash (hot shoe) and even has a threaded cable release socket. Many Radio Shack Canada stores still have the 2Mp Fuji Finepix 2800Zoom for about $250Cdn as well. Both of these cameras have 6X zoom lenses, EVFsand take excellent pictures, but the 2800 is a simple point and shoot while the S602 is a full featured digicam which some pros used.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:25 PM   #7

Thanks, Monza76. I've never bought anythingon eBay before, but decided to give it a go since there seem to be some old cams like I need selling cheap enough to make it worth the risk. I'll defintely look into the models you suggested.
Old Jul 29, 2004, 9:20 AM   #8

You could ask Amazon for a used cam. I'd suggest the Olympus C-3040 Zoom.
Here's Steve's review.

The cam, however, isn't a cheap one.
shutterbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 7:50 PM   #9

There is a Olympus 2100uz which is a FINE cam (2mp) on Ebay right now...

No bids...

Start price of $200.

No, I am NOT the seller nor do I know him or her!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote