Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:26 PM   #11

I wanted the 8mp because im considering going into photography as a hobby and with my new school (yep im only 16). Computer space is not an issue because i hope to print my pictures at a kodak kiosk (i live in GB). This camera also needs to last a LONG time. How many photos could be fitted into 10(ten)gb anyway if i did want to store them.

as for the file format i would probably want to take the pictures in raw as i would not be worried about speed 90% of the time. Could raw images go straigt to a printer or would they HAVE to go through pc software fist?
Hylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:27 PM   #12

CastleDude wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure you will see ithere it many times. Digital zoom is pretty much meaninglessyou can do the same thing post processing (and it will look a lot better).

I have an A2, I have friends that have the Canon Pro1 and the 5700.

The pro1 is a nice camera, it does produce really nice from the camera pictures. The zoom takes getting used to but it isn't that bad. If the Minolta A2 wasn't around I would have chosen the Canon. For my friend it was a better fit since it is smaller and he does not like to fiddle with the camera much.The Canon has a better feel than the A2 (more sturdy feeling).The A2 is a tweakers dream you can set all kinds of stuff and it has a lot of buttons, it also has the optional battery pack (something Ireally wanted) andthe IS.

The 5700 (5MP version of 8700) is an OK camera. The zoom goes higher on it (280mm) so it magnifys more optically (nice) but it doesn't have as good a low end so it is barely wide angle. Wide angle is (of course) important when shooting at parties or close areas. I never liked this series but it is on a totally subjective fact that I didn't like the way the buttons were arranged on it. I was always button hunting on this camera when I borrowed it. The Pro1 and A2 were very natural (even with all the buttons and dials on the A2).

One question you might want to ask is why do you want an 8MP camera? I got mine because I wanted more crop space than my 4MP had. You are coming from a .75MP world andif you are not printing 8MP is probably going to be wasted. I've advised people I work with that you are many times better off getting a superzoom 4MP and taking a nice vacation to get some pictures than getting a 8MP camera and spending lots of bucks and shooting pictures of the cat.

Remember there are hidden costs on each of these cameras, you are going to need BIG memory cards (512M minimum) to use it and if you decide to do RAW the 1GB cards will start looking small.With the Canon and A2 theyuse the newer fasterCF cards that cost more than the older cards. Dedicated flashes and extra batteries can take a dent out of your wallet also. Also don't forget extra hard disk space (or at least a DVD burner) more memory for your PC (1GB is really needed for the 8M images once you start playing around). And of course you will need to get one the new printers to go with thecamera :-).

Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:27 PM   #13

CastleDude wrote:
Quote:
I'm sure you will see ithere it many times. Digital zoom is pretty much meaninglessyou can do the same thing post processing (and it will look a lot better).

The pro1 is a nice camera, it does produce really nice from the camera pictures. The zoom takes getting used to but it isn't that bad. If the Minolta A2 wasn't around I would have chosen the Canon. For my friend it was a better fit since it is smaller and he does not like to fiddle with the camera much.The Canon has a better feel than the A2 (more sturdy feeling).The A2 is a tweakers dream you can set all kinds of stuff and it has a lot of buttons, it also has the optional battery pack (something Ireally wanted) andthe IS.

The 5700 (5MP version of 8700) is an OK camera. The zoom goes higher on it (280mm) so it magnifys more optically (nice) but it doesn't have as good a low end so it is barely wide angle. Wide angle is (of course) important when shooting at parties or close areas. I never liked this series but it is on a totally subjective fact that I didn't like the way the buttons were arranged on it. I was always button hunting on this camera when I borrowed it. The Pro1 and A2 were very natural (even with all the buttons and dials on the A2).

One question you might want to ask is why do you want an 8MP camera? I got mine because I wanted more crop space than my 4MP had. You are coming from a .75MP world andif you are not printing 8MP is probably going to be wasted. I've advised people I work with that you are many times better off getting a superzoom 4MP and taking a nice vacation to get some pictures than getting a 8MP camera and spending lots of bucks and shooting pictures of the cat.

Remember there are hidden costs on each of these cameras, you are going to need BIG memory cards (512M minimum) to use it and if you decide to do RAW the 1GB cards will start looking small.With the Canon and A2 theyuse the newer fasterCF cards that cost more than the older cards. Dedicated flashes and extra batteries can take a dent out of your wallet also. Also don't forget extra hard disk space (or at least a DVD burner) more memory for your PC (1GB is really needed for the 8M images once you start playing around). And of course you will need to get one the new printers to go with thecamera :-).

Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:27 PM   #14

CastleDude wrote:
Quote:

Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:29 PM   #15

what do you mean by extra batteries, do 8mp cameras use dearewr batteries or non rechargeable or somthing?

Without its 35x digital zoom it boasts is the Sony 828 any good at all?
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:30 PM   #16

im a newbie to forums, dont know how i managed to quote all that message...sorry
Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:42 PM   #17
NHL

FYI

Another data point: http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6501_7-5138257.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:16 PM   #18

The batteries are reusable and rechargeable but.. they are also strange. So you are not going to be able to get another battery from the local drug store. So if you are on a vacation it is a good idea to keep two batteries (or sets) around just incase when you drop off the previous night you forgot to plug in the charger.

Nothing is worse that needing to wait for two hours for a recharge with a bunch of hungry/screaming kids:lol: Wait something is worse when that perfect shot shows up and the battery goes dead at that moment. That is a LOT worse.

The Sony is a good camera ... It was the first 8MP out so the other guys were able to make better ones though (IMHO). It's best features areprobably:

The battery, the Sony info lithium is pretty impressive with it's really exact charge indicator.
Low light focusing assist, the laser based focusing is pretty cool, it works and just is a great way to freak out people with the pattern.
Simple to use. It has a very simple menu and setup. It may be the best camera for the person that is moving up from a simple camera in that it the others are "wanna be DSLRS" where the Sony is a digicam that has a lot of pixels.

The Sony is way bigger than the others and that giant lens is not a much of a performer.. Too bad the 717 was a great camera by all the reviews.

--------------------------
One thing to remember is thatthere is no bad 8MP camera right now. All of these are great cameras but some are better than the others. What makes them better is based on your needs. The A2 is (IMHO) for the person that is used to a film SLR and wants a camera that has all the old features plus the new features of digital. The Canon is for the person that is more comfortable letting the camera do some things. The Sony for those that really want to let the camera do the work. The Nikon kinda falls between the Sony and the Canon.

Someare more complicated (but the final result can be better pictures), someare bigAny camera youbuy will allow you to takesome great pictures. You need to match the camera to your process of taking pictures.You don't want a $1000 paperweight.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:23 PM   #19

Hylian, you probably accidentally pressed the quotes rather than reply. You can edit your posts to say double post.
As to raw, as well as giving more ability to fix white balance and the like it does more. I am going through a phase now where i want to see photos that look more like velvia. Next month i may decide i want to go back to more natural images, later i may decide that I want black and whites. Raw gives quite a bit of latitude in this matter of reinterpreting your photos.

I would check out http://www.pbase.com/cameras They have a huge database of images from various cameras.
You will probably want to go to a camera store and hold the cameras you are considering. Before i bought my current camera i was thinking of a coolpix 5700. cool camera, but when i picked it up in the store i felt like i was a giant.
likewise somebody with small hands might not be comfortable handling the cannon of a canon dslr i have (i will now do 200 pushups for that one) :-)

You will probably need closer to 1 gb of memory, and at least one change of batteries. This seems to be
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:23 PM   #20

My friends tell me i will actually get BETTER photographs from a company such as kodak with a 6mp SLR camera, which happens to be the same price, and macro focusing is a lot better./..the confusion!!!

The low light imaging you were mentioning on the Sony, would this work from a distance if you were zooming as the AF lamp would not reach it???

I really am a beginner and will need a lot of coaxing before i spend £550(1000 dollars)

Any imformation, however small is really helpfull to me. At the moment my favorites are the A2 for its fast RAW and teh Nikon for that extra 1x zoom.

Lastly will RAW mode work with booths and can you send the card off to be developed, or must my pc process them fist?