Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:42 PM   #21

Well Hylian, here is my two cents worth.

Forget digital zoom, it is a marketing tool, all the camera does is crop out the centre of the image, you can do that more effectively on a computer afterwards. Digital zoom = picture degradation.

The big plus of the Sony is in handling, and the manual lens controls (Minolta has same advantage here). if you are only familiar with p&s digicams then this will not be a big issue.

All of the small sensor 8Mp cameras are weak at higher ISO settings because more pixels on a small chip means smaller, less sensitive, pixels. At higher ISO settings these cameras are no match for the 6Mp DSLRs, however they are very close if left at the low ISO settings (ISO 100 OR LESS).

All of these cameras offer comparable image quality under most circumstances so look for the feature set that best suits you.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:16 PM   #22

The investment when it comes to cameras is in the body. When you buy a body only as in some form of slr, you are committing to a system. With p&s when you need more you replace the whole thing. At the price range you are talking about you have the choice of a body with a fixed lens or a body + a lens for not much more. The right choice really depends on how long and how flexible you need the camera to be. The pro1 has good glass otherwise the red stripe wouldn't be there. The larger sensor of even the entry level dslr allows for a larger collector on each sensor, and more space between resulting in less noise, and better performance in low light. But you have to be particular about making sure the sensor is clean. I have had mine for about 13 months, and haven't had any problems with that.

Probably the best advice on choosing is to simple choose the camera that you will use. If it happens to be more than you can afford then see what you can do to save the remainder. I had the same choice to make last year. I was considering at that point a minolta(i can't remember i believ the dimage 7hi), the coolpix 5700, and the sony f717. Ultimately i decided to save and get the eos-10d. For me that was the right decision. Don't let anybody tell you which camera to get, but do take there advice look at test pics, and think about what you need. It is better to get a camera that you know that there is need to grow into. That way you can't blame the camera for any bad shots.

That is pretty generic advice, but will get you where you need to go in the end. And read reviews, look at test pics until you can't stand to anymore, then look at more.
cheers
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 7:46 PM   #23

RAW is pretty much propriatary so in general you will not be able to get prints directly from RAW. However some houses offer Photoshop processing so they may be willing to do it since Photoshop CS will import the RAW from all the above cameras.

DSLRs have an advantage for lower light. The A2 (and most digicams) effectively max out around 200 ASA. The Nikon D70 starts at ASA 200 and maxes out at about 800 ASA. The max out numbers are not the value the camera can do but the practical value of the camera.

I shoot in California sunlight, with a flash or with studio lighting. I don't reallyneed aboveISO 200.

So if you are shooting a lot of natural light stuff in darker areas a DSLR will give you better results. Shoot in the light and the performance is pretty close.

I'm not a 300D fan but the Canon 10D and Nikon D70 are fine cameras the others have given you the advantages. A good pro/con DSLR list is here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/es...vs-dslrs.shtml

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:39 PM   #24

I seriously considered the A2, but it has crappy macro compared to the Nilon 8700, which is what I ended up getting - I love macro. I looked at the Canon also, but the guy in the camera store said many folks were turned off by the way the lens zoomed. Can't remember the issue exactly.
toureasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 10:16 PM   #25
NHL

toureasy wrote:
Quote:
I seriously considered the A2, but it has crappy macro compared to the Nilon 8700, which is what I ended up getting - I love macro. I looked at the Canon also, but the guy in the camera store said many folks were turned off by the way the lens zoomed. Can't remember the issue exactly.
Ah, but it has two postions macro: wide for more DOF - tele for the magnification (Nikon is fixed @ the wide only) and easier lighting plus you wouldn't scare the bugs away...

In case no one notices the A1/A2 lenses are also "G" class, Minolta's own "L" equivalent pro-line with APO elements and all, and also with a stripe (and white too)! :-) :-) :-)
http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...ns/lineup.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:33 AM   #26

Thanks for all the help.

If I bought a 6mpSLR for the same price roughly, how would the image quality compare in different light circumstances, I dont really expect to shoot in the dark , but you never know....

Could RAW images be placed into card slots in modern printers? and if not using raw what is best out of the other formats...thanks again

Hylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 5:58 AM   #27

if i did buy a dslr it would be a nikon d70 by the way
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:48 AM   #28
NHL

Hylian wrote:
Quote:
If I bought a 6mp SLR for the same price roughly, how would the image quality compare in different light circumstances, I dont really expect to shoot in the dark , but you never know....
The picture at high ISO would be less noisy; however it would not be at the same price. You forgot the lenses: You need to add at least two zooms to cover the same range (and may be a macro too), and not any cheap lens either... Oh, yes and a bag to carry the whole outfit in, or the need to swap lenses which you don't have to be inconvenienced with in an all-in-one camera. BTW you should also check into the weight sacrifice before making the commitment... DSLRs are somewhat better, but it's not for everyone
Remember too if you don't sway away from ISO 100 most of the time (like myself) you're also given up 2Mp which could come quite useful for travel photography like landscapes. Macro photography too is where the 8Mpixels camera hold an edge because of their DOF! Don't let people oversell you on noise either, check out theses pictures from my "king" of noise camera like my famous D7's at night: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/disney
Noises are good actually when you make enlargements, I need to add them back in Photoshop for my Portraits (not everything is just blue sky) to make them less plasticky, they are also perceived as details in prints! :-)

Quote:
Could RAW images be placed into card slots in modern printers? and if not using raw what is best out of the other formats...
No! RAW is proprietary and need to be converted first, although you can embed the JPEG in the RAW file in the A2, and most dSLR. In theory external devices can read this embedded JPEG such as the Flashtrax, but I don't recall any printer supporting them yet.
Tiff is the other universal format, and accepted by all printers. :O
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:21 AM   #29

I have nearly deceided and i think ill go with the Konica beacuse in England it is the cheapest by far and it seems to have nearly the best of everything.

What accesories do i need to get separatly, what comes with it, is it easy to use, do i need an adapter to fit skylight filters and telephoto lenses to it?

How much are batteries, how long do they last?

If ayone lives in England where can it be bought for the cheapest.

Thanks once again and sorry for the long list of questions, these will be my last (probably)
Old Jul 28, 2004, 9:22 AM   #30

I have nearly deceided and i think ill go with the Konica beacuse in England it is the cheapest by far and it seems to have nearly the best of everything.

What accesories do i need to get separatly, what comes with it, is it easy to use, do i need an adapter to fit skylight filters and telephoto lenses to it?

How much are batteries, how long do they last?

If ayone lives in England where can it be bought for the cheapest.

Thanks once again and sorry for the long list of questions, these will be my last (probably)