Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:18 AM   #31

Hylian wrote:
Quote:
What accesories do i need to get separatly, what comes with it, is it easy to use, do i need an adapter to fit skylight filters and telephoto lenses to it?

You will need to get a memory card. Based on tests that have been run the Lexar cards work best. 80x cards have the same performance as 40x cards. 256M is the minimum for this camera for JPEG operation. I would advise 512M or larger if you want to do a lot of RAW. I have a 512M and a 1GB card.

The Minilta has a 49mm standard screw for filters but I tend to use a stepping ring with 55mm+ sizes. This prevents the lens from vinetting at wide angle.

http://www.pbase.com/mtf_foto_studies/mtf_faqhas a lot of good info on this camera.

Other stuff I have and use with the camera:

Must have #1 acircular polarizer.

Cool but not required is a close up filter set http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...747&is=REG

I have the battery grip option that holds a second battery or allows you to use NIMH AA cells. Even without the extra battery the grip is really nice.

An external flash is nice. Note Minolta has a strange hotshoe that requires an adapter if you want to use a flash not specifically made for the Minolta.

Battery life is good.Check Steves for details but it will last through a 1G card without a problem.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 8:04 AM   #32

The Konica is REALLY cheap at http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ed3577c4521aed

Can anyone see any probelems with buying from these peaople...Thanks once again..
Hylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 9:25 AM   #33
Administrator

Hylian wrote:
Quote:
The Konica is REALLY cheap at http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ed3577c4521aed

Can anyone see any probelems with buying from these peaople...Thanks once again..
You need to learn how to watch out for scam artists. If a price looks too good to be true, it probably is. Remember, it's very competitive now. So, if one store has a price that's lower than everyone else, watch out! You can see customer reviews for7dayshop here (scroll down to the bottom of the page to see them):

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller4731.html

I would also recommend avoiding vendors with only a small number of customer reviews, because vendors have been known to "pad their own ratings", by posting "glowing reviews". Note that one of the customer reviews praises them, but look at the other two reviews.:-) A well established vendor will usuallyhave thousands of customer reviews.

The usual way the bad dealers work, is to advertise something at a lower price than everyone else. Then, they call you to "confirm" your order.

Then, the sales pitch begins (you'll need a better battery, larger memory card, lens accessories, extended warranty, etc.). Of course, many consumers fall for it, since they only check the price of the camera -- not the accessories.

These items are usually sold at outrageous prices, but appear to be heavily discounted (unrealistic prices are shown for the "list prices" of the accessories.).

Usually, this happens:

* They ship you a gray market camera (one not intended for sale in the U.S.). BTW, you won't get warranty service if it is gray market.

and/or

* They are not really going to sell you the camera at the advertised price, unless you agree to buy lots of overpriced extras (poor quality memory cards, case, poor quality lens accessories, generic batteries that they claim are better, extended warranty, etc.).

Of course, by the time you buy the overpriced, poor quality add-on's, you could have gotten a better deal somewhere else -- from a reputable dealer. Another trick these guys play, is to claim the price is for the camera only (again, forcing you to buy the items that are included with the camera anyway, at drastically inflated prices). Otherwise (if you tell them you don't want the add-ons), most of the "scam artists" will refuse to sell it to you for the quoted price.

Or, your camera will suddenly go to backorder status, or even more common, they simply never ship it to you -- leading you along when you try to find out order status, until you finally cancel the order.

Sometimes, when do cancel, they'll ship a partial order (with high unauthorized shipping charges tacked on). Then, when you return it, and dispute it with your credit card company, they end up keeping the high shipping charges they added (because credit card companies will often not refund the shippnig charges).

You may also see a combination of the above techniques (gray market camera + trying to scam you with the extras).

These types of techniques are VERY Common.

I'd do yourself a favor -- stick with a reputable dealer -- one that will work with you if you have a problem. Cameras do have "out of the box" problems, and you don't want to be stuck with a gray market camera that you can't get serviced (or a need to ship your brand new camera back to Konica-Minolta as soon as you buy it).

A good dealer will usually replace a defective model, within a reasonable return period.

Use the customer feedback in the price search engines to "spot" these dealers, and also use http://www.resellerratings.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 2:45 PM   #34

Hello again,

What is the practical differance between a microdrive and compact flash cards, do they use a different amount of battery power etc.???
Old Jul 30, 2004, 2:49 PM   #35
NHL

Hylian wrote:
Quote:
Hello again,

What is the practical differance between a microdrive and compact flash cards, do they use a different amount of battery power etc.???
Yeap, they use slighly more battery because of the rotating media, but you should not see much difference in operating time though since the current draw by the camera way overwhelms that of the microdrives. Beside most of the time the drives are in low-power idle and only draw current in small burst for write. They are more attractive than flash because they cost less for the same speed (slow flash cards are actually cheaper) at higher capacity... I use them both.

FYI http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=278580
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 3:13 PM   #36

oK I am convinced that i should buy a compact flash card. Lexar looks promising.

I am thinking also of buying 1 gigabyte. How many photos could i fit onto a one gigabyte (km A2).

Also should I get 40x or 80x ?
Old Jul 30, 2004, 4:20 PM   #37

You won't see any difference between the 40x and 80x cards when in the camera. The read speed of the 80x card is supposed to be faster. Lexar works better than Sandisk on the A2.

Number of pictures (numbers are from Steve's review):
  • RAW: 11.9 MB [/*]
  • RAW+JPEG: 15.8 MB [/*]
  • TIFF: 23.5 MB [/*]
  • JPEG Extra Fine: 7.9 MB [/*]
  • JPEG Fine: 4.0 MB [/*]
  • JPEG Standard 2.3 MB
So for 1GB [/*]
  • RAW:85 [/*]
  • RAW+JPEG:63 [/*]
  • TIFF: 42[/*]
  • JPEG Extra Fine: 125 Approx[/*]
  • JPEG Fine: 250 Approx[/*]
  • JPEG Standard 430 Approx
[/*]
The JPEGs depend a lot on the content and ISO so you probably will get more than advertised.

I didn't take the time to see what 1GB = 1024MB or 1000MB or if the numbers in the JPEG size are Decimal or binary. But this should give you a good idea.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 5:06 PM   #38

Hylian, if i may make a suggestion ? Try to find the lowest price you can on the web, make sure they have the A2 in stock, and also make sure they are U.K. based. Then go to your nearest Jessops camera store and ask them to match the price. They generally do. That way youhave a lot less hassle if you have any problems with the camera in future as the contract is between yourself and the seller, Jessops will have to handle any repairs/replacements etc, as in fact any seller has to here in the U.K. Unfortunately 7Dayshop.com are based in Guernsey & therefore Jessops will not match the price. But i am sure you can find a decent price elsewhere. Try http://www.warehouseexpress.co.uk/they have them for £549.00. Just print a copy of the details and take it to Jessops.

As CastleDude says, go with Lexar 40x (Pro), i use two 512mb incase one fails, and can store 62 xfine full resolution images.

Hope this helps.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:59 AM   #39

For prices in the UK - use price runner - here is the answer to prices on the A2.

http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/photogr.../196221/prices

Good Luck
Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote