Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:02 PM   #1

Hey everyone,
I am looknig for some help/suggestions on which camera may better suit my needs. I am looking or a day to day picture taking camera, with also great macro capabilities for my reef tank. I am down to either Canon Powershot G3 or G5 vs Nikon 4500 or 5400.

Does anyone have any experience with these cameras and would suggest one over the other for any reason? Thanks everyone.
nine9d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:11 PM   #2

I have the G3 and really like it. One of the drawbacks of it though is the slow autofocus/shutter lag when using the LCD to take pics. I only use the LCD when I use my add-on lens or take macro shots.

The battery life on the G3 is awesome. I can take over a gig worth of shots and still have plenty of battery life left.

Overall, I have been very happy with it. Ittakes beautiful pics. Wait, I am the one taking the pic, the camera is just recording it...:lol:

I can't speak for the Nikons since I have never owned/used one.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Ryan. Anyone else have some good info?
nine9d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 8:10 PM   #4

I don't know much about these particular cameras, but i would recomend holding whichever you are interested in before buying. I was seriously considering the coolpix 5700 a year ago, but held it in the store and found it to be much too small for my hands. I don't know really anything else about the nikons, but the i would look at test pictures from the g3 and g5 before choosing. I believe that they use the same size sensors or close, with the g5 having more pixels.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:42 AM   #5

I am sure there are many Nikon lovers out there as I once was, but for the money I think Canon offer a better build quality in this range.

My Coolpix 885 gave me trouble right from the start with jamming zoom lens, software errors and iris problems - and I believe the fault was common, but Nikon won't acknowledge that which surprises me whenyou'd have thought an intact reputation wasof paramount importance in this competitive market.

I've just ordered the Canon G5 on 7 days approval but the consensus on these boards appears to support it very much.
kafkaian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:26 AM   #6

I own a G5 which takes excellent photographs. Manual options are great and the camera is full of features. Auto focus is a little slow, sometimes has trouble focusing without proper lighting. Outdoor shots are superb. Produces some red eye yet this is very easy to correct. Purple fringing sometimes produced, yet a common problem on many cameras. This problem is easily corrected too. LCD is large, bright, and visible in sunlight. It is also fully rotatable. Macro Shooting is excellent, yet use lcd. Has RAW mode and can take over 2gb microdrive.
I reccomend the g5, as it also prints well on my canon i9900.
timothy015 is offline   Reply With Quote